one week old ts pullets

This is the answer I got off another girls post. I believe we have the same chick.

I still think it's a Golden Campine that is heterozygous for pattern gene, so it will be blurry laced instead of autosomally barred.

I am glad to hear you have 3 of these chicks because the one shown above is reminding me of a male.  However, Golden Campines display comb and wattle development early.  As long as all 3 of your chicks show similar comb and wattle development, then hopefully you have all females.  Often Campine males will be "henny" feathered, which you may already know, means that they won't have male pattern adult feathers; they will look like hens with large combs and large wattles.  The hens and roosters match, the same way Sebrights do.  Disclaimer:  Some lines of Campines don't carry henny-feathering.

You may already know this, but the hatchery knows that the little sable-colored chicks (like yours) are poorly-marked Golden Campines because homozygous Golden Campine chicks have a completely different chick down pattern.  The hatchery will remove these poorly-marked chicks (the kind you have) from the incubators/warmers and put them in their shipments of "Pullet Surprise" to TSC because they can't send them to the people who ordered Golden Campines.  The people who ordered the Golden Campines would complain immediately if they received those little brown chicks mixed in with the properly-marked marbled Golden Campine chicks.  They can sell the heterozygous for pattern gene dark brown-colored Golden Campine chicks to unsuspecting backyard chicken owners at TSC because people who want backyard chickens for eggs usually don't care what kind of chickens they get or really have no choice because TSC is sometimes the only game in town.  The hatchery, nor TSC, make no special claims about the chicks at TSC, so it's all good.

They are so cute as chicks, but they just look like blurry-laced brown hens.  They sort of look like the Welsummer above, but the brown part on the shoulders, back, tail, etc., are all brownish with an obvious lacing-style pattern on all the feathers.  They are supposed to have autosomal barring (many gold/brown stripes on each feather) like Golden Campines do.  So these chicks don't grow up into an especially striking hen, but, depending on the line, can be great layers of medium-sized white eggs, close to large.  They can be a little flighty or stand-offish.  But if you handle the females a lot, they should be calm-ish.  Also, they are an egg-laying type of chicken, so they won't be meaty.  If you want to get more next year, you just need to order Golden Campines.  They'll have a little different feather pattern, but they'll be the same size and lay the same colored egg.  Or order a Golden Campine rooster and breed him with your hens and approximately 50% of all the little chicks will be just like their mommies!  The other 50% should look like regular Golden Campines.

NOTE:  I kind of used the terms sable, brown, and dark brown interchangeably.  I was not using dark brown in reference to Db, however, Golden Campines do carry Db"

Update.... still waiting to see if it is a pullet. I'm not convinced but the comb is basically the same color and tint as my rsl chicks that are the same age

Last edited:
I purchased basically identical chicks from tsc. I was told they were easter eggers. Yours look 2 weeks or so older than mine. Im looking forward to finding out the girls from the boys!

Not the best photo but here is an update. 1 6ish weeks, I have a cokerel in my flock and these two just don't carry the same traits. Anyone know what I am. We are crowing yet. I'm am waiting. This one is stumping me

Back
Top Bottom