One wild turkey egg?

glandularp

Hatching
Jun 8, 2016
My dog one day brought 3 turkey eggs into the yard and although being gentle put a puncture hole in two of them. Over the period of the afternoon we decided to try and hatch it. Myself and my kids built an incubator. And proceeded to attempt to hatch it well it's day 25 and I am raising the humidity in anticipation of the hatch. The turkey is alive and well. Moving in the egg when candled. I am hoping for a little help in rearing this bird to be released. I have read a lot but feel as though I should be asking specific questions. Thank you for any time you can give me. Glenn

My dog one day brought 3 turkey eggs into the yard and although being gentle put a puncture hole in two of them. Over the period of the afternoon we decided to try and hatch it. Myself and my kids built an incubator. And proceeded to attempt to hatch it well it's day 25 and I am raising the humidity in anticipation of the hatch. The turkey is alive and well. Moving in the egg when candled. I am hoping for a little help in rearing this bird to be released. I have read a lot but feel as though I should be asking specific questions. Thank you for any time you can give me. Glenn

If you contact your local Game&Fish office you will find out more than you want to know. Depending on what state you are located in you most likely have taken illegal possession of a wild turkey egg. Most states require you to have a permit to have possession of wild turkeys. No state that I am aware of allows the taking of wild turkey eggs and the incubation thereof.

All states that I am aware of require a permit to release animals into the wild.

On a different note you can't take a newly hatched poult and release it and expect it to live. By the time you raise the poult to the point that it might survive on its own, it will have spent too much time with people to know how to survive in the wild especially if you imprint the poult.

Yes I agree. I have called the local wild animal hospital and when or if it hatches it will be brought to them and they will raise and release it. Sorry to waste any of your time. Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom