One year old goose and gander hatching problems ?

Hi , TY for ur reply ~~ The baby is doing GREAT so far . She started eating by herself today when I took her out to chicken run where I have the almost 2 mo. old baby chicks ( 2 black sex links and 2 buff orpingtons)....4 of them . I sat on the ground with the baby ...the chicks were curious but I wouldn't let them get too close....especially when I sat down....here they came....and some of the 1 yr old mama chicks , I call them ,were watching. Baby started eating out of their feeding tray and when the chicks came over to the water bowl....she started drinking too. I'm so happy and relieved. This baby is soooo cute and I believe she is going to be VERY independent. Her Mom and Dad also came up and remembered the peeps. They could not get to her but she ran over to them and they started hissing and spreading their wings, on other side of fence. Yes, I know they are scared and they just don't get it. I don't know if getting a little older would have made any difference. This was my hubby's idea to leave some of the goose eggs for a nest .....so I did. I had been taking them up. Well , We sure LOVE this little baby. Not sure if a goose or gander ? How do I tell ? I so appreciate the replies !! TYYY No sure if this message posted ....if not here it is ~~

Alot has happened since I posted this note but I wanted u to know that all is well. We drove to Bonners Ferry and got the new gosling a playmate about a week and 1/2 older than her. They just graduated from a box in the basement to the chicken run last night but we decided to let them with the goose and gander and see how they react . They took them right in and they have been together all day. Tonight when I went out to close them up the Gander was out of the pen with them and I guided them into their kennel for the night. It looks like this is a good ending and wanted u all to know as I have been very upset and concerned over this situation . TY for being here to listen and and advise . VERY much appreciate ~~ smiles gina <3

Last edited:
Hi , TY for ur reply ~~ The baby is doing GREAT so far . She started eating by herself today when I took her out to chicken run where I have the almost 2 mo. old baby chicks ( 2 black sex links and 2 buff orpingtons)....4 of them . I sat on the ground with the baby ...the chicks were curious but I wouldn't let them get too close....especially when I sat down....here they came....and some of the 1 yr old mama chicks , I call them ,were watching. Baby started eating out of their feeding tray and when the chicks came over to the water bowl....she started drinking too. I'm so happy and relieved. This baby is soooo cute and I believe she is going to be VERY independent. Her Mom and Dad also came up and remembered the peeps. They could not get to her but she ran over to them and they started hissing and spreading their wings, on other side of fence. Yes, I know they are scared and they just don't get it. I don't know if getting a little older would have made any difference. This was my hubby's idea to leave some of the goose eggs for a nest .....so I did. I had been taking them up. Well , We sure LOVE this little baby. Not sure if a goose or gander ? How do I tell ? I so appreciate the replies !! TYYY
They are precious aren't they. eventually you plan to give the adults this little one? take it out daily for them to see and vise versa they will accept it eventually
I waited till my goslings were 3 weeks old before the adults got them but they got to be around them everyday at least 3X so they could all get to know each other. [I supervised] Happy you were able to get at least one baby out of this years hatch. maybe next year will be better. I would think so.

Unless you vent sex no way of knowing at this age what gender you have. There are videos on you tube and Metzers website on vent sexing but I never tried it since I was afraid I'd injure them.

Can we see this little one?

Back
Top Bottom