Ongoing Brahma Projects Thread

Pics

brahmapapa

Songster
9 Years
Jan 13, 2011
Poestenkill NY (Averill Park address)
I am starting this thread in the hope that everyone with ongoing Brahma projects under development might have a common place to post photos share information and seek advice from each other.I know that there is a Brahma thread already in existance but i am hoping this thread will be more focused on genetics and breed improvement than the general Brahma thread. I am especially hopeful that people that have had great success with thier projects like Dan Powell, and Big Medecine and the many others will keep a close watch on posted pics offering advice on helping all of us less informed and less experienced make the best choices to achieve our goals. While I have had LF Brahmas for years, they were mostly hatchery stock. Brahma chickens are my favorite breed. I am starting to get involved with projects in several color patterns and when I am ready, it will be great to hopefully seek sound advice from knowledgable breeders. the color patterns that I am starting out with are are Partridge, Silver laced, and Blue laced red . I hope eventually to have breeding stock for all the color patterns available in LF Brahmas. Anyone with pics to share, it would be great to see what you have and where you are going with your projects. I hope we can have a robust uninhibited exchange of info here, we do all have the same goal, that of improving the breed as the target.

Quote:
Visine.

Sorry about that, but if you throw a slow one across the plate like that, I have to take a hack at it.

I don't consider that bleed through. I would consider your cockerel as a splash blue partridge. Basically a black and red bird with two copies of blue diluting the black.

Last edited:
hey there.
i was thinking about the shape of the comb in the brahma.
some are Saw like some are flat and some are wulnut shaped.personally i prefer Flat form like my silver brhma rooster.so can anybody guide me how is the inheritance of comb appearance?
and how i can get flat combs out of wulnut/semi sw shaped parents?
i would be appreciated.
jumpy.gif

A proper and correct Brahma comb is a small, tight, three ridged, pea comb. Variations from that usually indicates a outcross to other comb types in a birds family tree. My guess would be that the small flat combs you describe re a result of some rose comb influence. I know in my case bringing some Wyandotte blood into a Brahma project resulted in many variations of small low combs for a few years. In my case I bred to get back to a proper pea comb so I really can't say with certainty how to breed for these variations, other than to use the birds that most closely resemble what you want in your breeding pens.

Now the question may be, if you are breeding for a non pea comb, should you be calling them Brahmas ?

Here are a few of my recognised (in Britain) characters, plus a few different ones.

Blue Partridge rooster.

IMG_1286%252520%2525281%252529.jpg

Red Pyle (Splash)

IMG_4682.jpg

Interesting cockerel (11.5 weeks)

IMG_5838.jpg

IMG_1987.jpg

I will first thank Dan Powell for my foundation stock of Buff, Silver and Gold Laced Brahmas. My group is from early May, here are a few photos and I am looking forward to learning and working on helping further the project. Is there anyone near Texas working on this? I have quite a few too many roos...
88585_img_2632.jpg

88585_img_2619.jpg

88585_img_2634.jpg

88585_img_2599.jpg

Back
Top Bottom