Ongoing Brahma Projects Thread

Pics
We have developed a couple of blue girls. They are beautiful, but I haven't had any luck with the second generation breeding true. I'm going to try a different roo with them.

This is what I'm getting second generation, which I love, by the way!

We have developed a couple of blue girls. They are beautiful, but I haven't had any luck with the second generation breeding true. I'm going to try a different roo with them.

This is what I'm getting second generation, which I love, by the way!

Those look like splashes, no? If so, wouldn't that still be considered breeding true?

You see, you know more than me about genetics. Yes, they are splashes. I have even gotten a couple of solid whites. I just haven't gotten any blue roos, so I'm not sure what to breed my girls to. The splash boys are really pretty, too, by the way, but they have red on their shoulders -

You see, you know more than me about genetics. Yes, they are splashes. I have even gotten a couple of solid whites. I just haven't gotten any blue roos, so I'm not sure what to breed my girls to. The splash boys are really pretty, too, by the way, but they have red on their shoulders -

Yeah I see what you mean. The challenge with the splashes I guess is that they could still be carrying the gold/red and you might not see it...and yeah I agree, if you're getting white they are not breeding true yet. Do you have any solid blacks?

I have two solid black hens.

Have you tried one of your splash roos over the black hens? That would yield 100% blue, but who knows if the red would still show up. I'm still learning poultry genetics so I don't know how the leakage works exactly...

I will try that when the boys are old enough. I personally think the boys are beautiful, but I would like to have a true blue splash. I actually have one chick that I'm hoping is a cockerel, plus one of the solid white ones is looking rather "boyish" to me. I don't have a good picture of him/her, but here's one of my solid whites in the bottom picture.

Back
Top Bottom