Ongoing Brahma Projects Thread

Pics
Nobody ever said being a true breeder was going to be easy. Tough decisions are required if you are going to make headway. Just one of the costs of improvement.

(Anybody else just flash to the bus scene in Bull Durham, where Costner is having Robbins write down the clichés he will need to know in the bigs ?)

Does anyone have pictures of VH on a young bird? I have two partridge cockerels that I'm thinking might have VH. I'll be bummed if they both do as I wanted to use one of them for breeding. I do have another black partridge cockerel coming my way so hopefully he's clean hocked.

Does anyone have pictures of VH on a young bird? I have two partridge cockerels that I'm thinking might have VH. I'll be bummed if they both do as I wanted to use one of them for breeding. I do have another black partridge cockerel coming my way so hopefully he's clean hocked.

They are only 4 months so they are not completely feathered in. I'm also a noob with the brahmas so I have no idea how they might appear in a young bird.

Nobody ever said being a true breeder was going to be easy. Tough decisions are required if you are going to make headway. Just one of the costs of improvement.

(Anybody else just flash to the bus scene in Bull Durham, where Costner is having Robbins write down the clichés he will need to know in the bigs ?)
Actually I was thinking of when Crash asks Annie to say something inspiring: "Come on, Annie, think of something clever to say, huh? Something full of magic, religion, ********. Come on, dazzle me."

Anyway, you're right. I'm working on the tough decisions, but I think I'm getting better at it.

How old? Here is a picture I posted a long time ago of a cockerel that have vulture hocks at about 6 weeks. The hocks are not very obvious in the picture, but if you look really hard you can see them.

Last edited:
Major vulture hocks!

A couple of questions though...Are 5 hens enough for a project? How many hens do you use in a project? I realize the lacing isn't perfect by any means in my GL Brahmas, but other than that, they seem to be alright. No VH, split wing, bunny tail, etc. What else should I look out for in Brahmas? I have had Chickens for as long as i can remember but they were always just "yard birds" & I would like a little something more than that now. I really appreciate all the the help & answers to my questions. BYC people are awesome! I know I need to learn more about genetics but getting answers from the pros & learning from you all is even better than a book.

Back
Top Bottom