Ongoing Brahma Projects Thread

Pics
Gold Laced...

Blue pullet....

Sorry, I couldn't get any of the blue cockerel...
I honestly don't know how people get such good pix of their chickens..mine never seem to come out too great...:/

Ok, just a question. I am so confused by the chicken genetic calculators! I have blue partridge brahmas and gold partridge brahmas. My Blue partridge roo over a blue partridge hen will throw what colors? I know bluexblue can throw blue, splash and black...but what about the partridge pattern? Will that just be their pattern over whatever color they hatch out as? There is no blue partridge option in the drop down menu. One of my first chicks is hatching as we speak and I have no idea what to expect!

Ok, just a question. I am so confused by the chicken genetic calculators! I have blue partridge brahmas and gold partridge brahmas. My Blue partridge roo over a blue partridge hen will throw what colors? I know bluexblue can throw blue, splash and black...but what about the partridge pattern? Will that just be their pattern over whatever color they hatch out as? There is no blue partridge option in the drop down menu. One of my first chicks is hatching as we speak and I have no idea what to expect!

If the pattern is well established in both parents, all chicks should be partridge as well.

Now some of projects are still a little let's say unsettled in some of the finer points of the pattern. Maybe only carrying single copies of certain genes, from all outward appearances look right, but when bred, will throw the off gene to half it's chicks, possibly resulting in some off patterned chicks from two properly patterned parents.

The rest of the blue to blue breeding principles would still be the same. 50% blue 25% splash and 25% black. And please do me a favor and refer to the resulting splash percentage of the chicks as splash. Despite what the European's think, pyle is a result of dominant white on a black breasted red pattern as in old english games.

Last edited:
If the pattern is well established in both parents, all chicks should be partridge as well.

Now some of projects are still a little let's say unsettled in some of the finer points of the pattern. Maybe only carrying single copies of certain genes, from all outward appearances look right, but when bred, will throw the off gene to half it's chicks, possibly resulting in some off patterned chicks from two properly patterned parents.

The rest of the blue to blue breeding principles would still be the same. 50% blue 25% splash and 25% black. And please do me a favor and refer to the resulting splash percentage of the chicks as splash. Despite what the European's think, pyle is a result of dominant white on a black breasted red pattern as in old english games.

Both parents are pretty well marked. I think the females could be better marked on their neck areas. Very interesting. Thank you. And I promise to use splash and now pyle! :)

hey men.im new here.i have a question sorry if its foolish:)
how to breed a Blue patridge rooster?i mean half gray/black and half golden.
thanks

hey men.im new here.i have a question sorry if its foolish:)
how to breed a Blue patridge rooster?i mean half gray/black and half golden.
thanks

To produce any specific color pattern requires the correct combination of genetics. A slight change of even one component can completely change a pattern.

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html If you go on Henk's calculator, click on show examples to the right of the small male. In the middle of the sixth row is a bird labeled "multiple laced partridge brown" . Click on it. When it comes up, scroll down it's list of genetic components till you see BL blue, click on the check mark, then select Bl/bl andalusian. That is gold blue partridge, if you want a true red add Mh mahogany.

Play around with it, you can learn much here.

To produce any specific color pattern requires the correct combination of genetics. A slight change of even one component can completely change a pattern.

http://kippenjungle.nl/kruising.html If you go on Henk's calculator, click on show examples to the right of the small male. In the middle of the sixth row is a bird labeled "multiple laced partridge brown" . Click on it. When it comes up, scroll down it's list of genetic components till you see BL blue, click on the check mark, then select Bl/bl andalusian. That is gold blue partridge, if you want a true red add Mh mahogany.

Play around with it, you can learn much here.
goodpost.gif
thanks gr8 med.
btw can i ask sth else?how to Over size our brahmas?is ther any usefull link or stuff like that u can mention it?thanks and all the HAils to ya!

Afternoon to all....I've been contacted by another cheesehead to possibly get involved with a gold partridge project she has going. In your pics of your gold partridge you recently posted dispatch, is the correct color suppose to be black on the chest? I'm just asking, and not judging anything.

I know there is a lot involved, and would like to digest a few things, I'm not sure about.

Is anyone working with the APA in regards to all the steps involved to have any of the colors recognized?

Thanks for any help...bigz

Afternoon to all....I've been contacted by another cheesehead to possibly get involved with a gold partridge project she has going. In your pics of your gold partridge you recently posted dispatch, is the correct color suppose to be black on the chest? I'm just asking, and not judging anything.

I know there is a lot involved, and would like to digest a few things, I'm not sure about.

Is anyone working with the APA in regards to all the steps involved to have any of the colors recognized?

Thanks for any help...bigz
Yes, Dee is working on getting them recognized by the APA, she is calling them gold rather than partridge. A true partridge has mahogany/red instead of the wild type gold. By calling them gold she is not trying to make them match the current partridge color standard for other breeds. May be an uphill battle since they changed the rules for getting a new variety recognized this year. The changes are in the latest APA newsletter if you would like to read up on it.

Yes. Gold partridge cocks/cockerels should have a black chest, mahogany on the upper wing and gold/black hackle and saddle feathers. Gold partridge pullets/hens are black/gold penciled. Very similar to the darks, just think gold where there is silver on the darks (except the males who have the mahogany upper wing).

Back
Top Bottom