Ongoing Brahma Projects Thread

Pics
I have several breeds. My newest are 2 light brahamas. Supposed to be females. They are 8 months old. Today one of them became very aggressive I the other chickens. It got to the food first & when others came up, it grabbed them, pulling out feathers and chasing them off. I noticed it's a bit bigger with more dark feathers than the other, but it's feathers aren't as fancy as my Wyandotte rooster. Could it be a rooster? Are they often aggressive with other chickens?
If you post a picture we can probably let you know if it is a cockerel or a pullet. Generally speaking, neither sex is aggressive, but I have noticed that my pullet/hens tend to hog the food dish more than any of the cockerels/cock birds and will let another chicken know if it is interfering with their eating pleasure.

[/IMG]
Everyday it looks more rooster like. Either way, he/she ignores me but is very bossy to the hens. My Wyandotte rooster is a terror to humans but is sweet as can be to the hens.

Yep. He's crowing his head off now. I hope he's better behaved than my current rooster (who's about to be soup). But it worries how bossy he is to the hens.

Well my buff brahma bantam rooster acts real tough but he never attacks poeple (or other chickens). He's really just a big sweetheart. He is twice the size of the banty hens though.

Hello, I have a silver laced hen that I thought I had her separated with her own kind .. I hatched out some of her eggs and they all came out looking like Light brahma .. The rooster next to there pen is a light brahma rooster.. All babies have feathered feet
1f633.png
how would the babies look when they are big ??

Hello, I have a silver laced hen that I thought I had her separated with her own kind .. I hatched out some of her eggs and they all came out looking like Light brahma .. The rooster next to there pen is a light brahma rooster.. All babies have feathered feet
1f633.png
how would the babies look when they are big ??

Well bred silver laced Brahma chicks, (and by well bred I mean having two copies of all required genes), are dark, chipmunked striped looking things.

It has been my experience that crossing well bred silver laced and light (columbian) Brahmas will result in birds that look much more like a light with some extra partial lacing showing. The two on the right in this photo below.

Now the reason I emphasized when breeding well bred birds is that after a cross, or with some birds that may look correct, they may only be carrying a single copy of some of the required genes. When using these birds for breeders, only a percentage of their chicks will receive the required combination of genes to produce the desired pattern. It may take a few generations to build a flock of birds carrying two copies of all required genes to ensure all chicks will receive a copy from each parent every time.

So the surprise chicks could be the result of a fence jumper, or the result of a chance combination of some hidden genes. During the years of these projects I have produced chicks from the same mating's that on first glance you would hardly believe could be related to each other or their parents. But once every body has nice two copy sets of genes things smooth out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom