Ongoing Brahma Projects Thread

Pics
So I hatched this guy out of some gold and buff laced eggs

what would one call his coloring? Gold laced blue? Also I'll get some better photos of him to see his type, these are a bit old...he's a lot wider now.

Last edited:
So I hatched this guy out of some gold and buff laced eggs

what would one call his coloring? Gold laced blue? Also I'll get some better photos of him to see his type, these are a bit old...he's a lot wider now.
Looks to be blue on a gold base. Would need to see better closer pictures of his chest to determine his pattern, if he is single laced, possibly penciled.

Last edited:
I have a question. If I breed a buff brahma bantam hen that has split wings to a buff brahma bantam rooster that's does not have split wings, will the babies have split wings?

This is Peanut, my buff brahma bantam pullet, I'm pretty sure she has split wings

Last edited:
I have a question. If I breed a buff brahma bantam hen that has split wings to a buff brahma bantam rooster that's does not have split wings, will the babies have split wings?

This is Peanut, my buff brahma bantam pullet, I'm pretty sure she has split wings
The answer is complicated. Did you read the article I posted for you to read? http://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-breeding/recessive-genes-faults

I'm sure you want a quick answer, but like I said, it is complicated. The split wing trait is recessive. This means it take two copies of the split wing (actually missing feather) gene to show the split wing. If your pullet has a split wing, then it carries both genes (one from each parent). The cockerel may have a single gene or may not have any split wing gene. If the cockerel is carrying a single gene then some of the offspring (50%) will show split wing, 50% will carry one gene. This means that all of the offspring from this pullet are either split wing or carriers. If the cockerel does not carry the split wing gene, then none of the offspring will show the split wing, but all would be carriers of a single gene.

Read the article, it will help you determine whether you should breed this pullet....or even if you should consider breeding any of her siblings as well.

The answer is complicated.  Did you read the article I posted for you to read?  http://poultrykeeper.com/poultry-breeding/recessive-genes-faults

I'm sure you want a quick answer, but like I said, it is complicated.  The split wing trait is recessive.  This means it take two copies of the split wing (actually missing feather) gene to show the split wing.  If your pullet has a split wing, then it carries both genes (one from each parent).  The cockerel may have a single gene or may not have any split wing gene.  If the cockerel is carrying a single gene then some of the offspring (50%) will show split wing, 50% will carry one gene.  This means that all of the offspring from this pullet are either split wing or carriers.  If the cockerel does not carry the split wing gene, then none of the offspring will show the split wing, but all would be carriers of a single gene.

Read the article, it will help you determine whether you should breed this pullet....or even if you should consider breeding any of her siblings as well.

I did read the article and it helped a little, I'm pretty sure my cock doesn't have the gene cuz he is from a different hatchery. I'm not going to breed the babies, just was going to show them in 4-h

I did read the article and it helped a little, I'm pretty sure my cock doesn't have the gene cuz he is from a different hatchery. I'm not going to breed the babies, just was going to show them in 4-h
The babies should be fine for that. Are you planning on showing them in 4-H this year? Brahmas take over a year to reach full potential. I would hatch chicks this summer for next summer's fair. If you need some for this summer, I would either buy some juveniles if you can find some (I don't know if Minnesota has banned sales yet due to avian flu) or show a different breed this summer that will be mature enough....also, I believe that bantams mature faster, so I don't know if yours are bantams or large fowl. If they are bantams, they might be ready this summer. I know that our fair is in August, there is no way I could hatch now and have some ready.

Good luck! Keep us posted on your progress and how you do at the fair.

These chicks that I have now, the one with the split wing and two others, I will show them at the fair this year. Here they won't let you show a bird unless it is born the same year the fair is. After January 1st. Then next year I plan to breed these pullets to my cock and show the babies the same year. So as long as they don't have split wings I'm good. I'm not going to breed them.

These chicks that I have now, the one with the split wing and two others, I will show them at the fair this year. Here they won't let you show a bird unless it is born the same year the fair is. After January 1st. Then next year I plan to breed these pullets to my cock and show the babies the same year. So as long as they don't have split wings I'm good. I'm not going to breed them.
Sounds like you have a good plan. Wow, that is a really strict rule, there are several breeds that don't mature that quickly. I guess you can always try to set some eggs on December 11th, then they will hatch on New Years day. Anyway, I'm glad to see that we have some young blood on the board. Keep up the good work!

Back
Top Bottom