Ongoing Brahma Projects Thread

Quote:
Are you coming to central Florida any time soon? There is a pet fair in Plant City in a couple of weeks. We are always there with our bird toys and this time will have chickens there, too. I have about 20 boys I need to rehome and a few girls, too.

Quote:
I doubt it - here's my copy. There really aren't a lot of vendors with chickens, maybe 4 or 5 at best, it's more exotic birds and supplies, but there's a little bit of everything and it's lots of fun (if it isn't raining). Of course it's going to be hot hot hot! If you come, we are in the first space directly to the right at the front gate - you'll see our "FancyFeathers Bird Toys" banner.

31698_picture_006.jpg

Quote:
If you breed those to a regular Partridge you willl get all Blue Partridge chicks. Or if bred to a Blue Partridge you would get half and half. They are a Blue Partridge Sport(splash) or as some say, Red Pyle

Thanks Cubakid! I am also getting this color which I was told was a red pyle/splash.

I would love to develop a blue Brahma, but I haven't a clue how to go about doing it!

31698_p1010855.jpg

31698_p1010820.jpg

The only way i could think of getting to solid blue would be out crossing with a large black Cochin. Even then you could still have red leakage.

Quote:
I also responded to a similar post on the Brahma thread. Friends of mine are working on blues. Red bleed through has been an issue with their blacks, I imagine it is the same with the blues. Vulture hocks is always a possibility when crossing in cochin blood, and very difficult to clean up. Another issue is slate colored legs.

Quote:
If all your birds have it, you can not breed it out, with out bringing in clean hocked stock. Vulture hocks are a recessive trait, meaning in order for it to show itself, the chick has to recieve a copy of the gene from each parent. The incidious thing about vulture hocks is a perfectly clean hocked looking bird may still be carrying one copy of the gene, and 50% of it's chicks will recieve a copy. All of this will go undetectable untill mated with a bird that also carries a copy. Any chick recieving a copy from each parent will have visible vulture hocks. This bird will have no option but to pass a copy to all of it's chicks. Believe me I have culled many a bird over the years while never using a vulture hocked bird as breeder since the early years of developing silver laced Brahmas. I was concerned people would not be diligent about this once I let some stock loose, and appears that in fact is happening. I currently have my best silver laced hens penned with a pretty nice light cockerel in an attempt to add a little size, type, open their tails, and futher dilute remnant vulture hock traces, along with some splash blue columbian hens.
24364_dscf4356.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom