Online Large Fowl Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would love to get a fence but DH does not want the area near the road fenced. The rest of the property is fenced , but that dog could get under livestock fence. Even the pasture with the hot wire! I am getting another Pyr on Monday, and a Shepherd for my husband on Tuesday. I plan to tie the Pyr for a while, and hopefully she will stay inside the fence.
I went to the sale today and prices were still low unless I wanted to buy a chicken... Then it was higher. Go figure. A lovely day, but cool this morning at 6 am the snaps on the gates were frozen!
This afternoon I built a big chicken feeder that can be installed in the side of the coop and filled from the outside. It will hold lots of feed, so no need to feed daily:) Now it needs a coat of paint and installation.
Deb, I would love to see pics of your coop setups and such, if you have them handy.

We expanded three goose pens today (used to be 6' x 16' - now 12' x 16 '), built a goose house, a duck house, and have a duck run 90% finished. Tomorrow I have to move geese around, and hopefully we'll be able to finish the duck run, and separate my trio of Magpies off, then we can hopefully drive some more T-Posts for the other duck runs. Life is never dual when you live on a farm, yes?

~ Aspen

Hey Aspen! I am not sure how to post pics on here any more, but perhaps I will get out the camera tomorrow . I need to take pics of the Buff Rocks, RIR and FBCM so I can sell some of their eggs. I did post pics of chicken tractors and quail duplex at one point. Nice to hear about your projects.

Hey Aspen! I am not sure how to post pics on here any more, but perhaps I will get out the camera tomorrow . I need to take pics of the Buff Rocks, RIR and FBCM so I can sell some of their eggs. I did post pics of chicken tractors and quail duplex at one point. Nice to hear about your projects.
I'll go check your profile for pictures. I'm always interested in looking at other peoples DIY projects...especially coops! : )

We did a job for TXDOT a couple years go, a sign job, we got to keep all the road signs in the counties we worked on, we still have quite a few metal signs left. That's what we've been making our goose and duck houses out of! LOL They look pretty awful, but oh well.

~ Aspen

Got my new livestock dog today, a Great Pyrenees named Bella. I also have a goat and a grandchild named Bella so it might get confusing:-D
I ripped off part of one of my coops I wasn't happy with and fixed it yesterday. Put a coat of paint on it today. The new feeder I made is all ready to install once I decide which coop to put it in.

Got my new livestock dog today, a Great Pyrenees named Bella. I also have a goat and a grandchild named Bella so it might get confusing:-D
I ripped off part of one of my coops I wasn't happy with and fixed it yesterday. Put a coat of paint on it today. The new feeder I made is all ready to install once I decide which coop to put it in.
Bella sounds like a cutie pie! Oh dear, that isn't good about the coop!

~ Aspen

Yesterday I got a German Shepherd pup named Karmin , she is 6 months old and a real handful! But very pretty and smart. My Papillon hates her and the cat is just appalled! Hopefully they will work it out. My husband is away at work every day, and it is nice to have company. :)

Yesterday I got a German Shepherd pup named Karmin , she is 6 months old and a real handful! But very pretty and smart. My Papillon hates her and the cat is just appalled! Hopefully they will work it out. My husband is away at work every day, and it is nice to have company. :)
Aww, Karmin sounds like such a cutie patootie! If I was closer I'd come up and visit you, and help with some of your ongoing projects. : )

~ Aspen

Oh, yes, I can always use help.
I had a really bad day the other day! The Pyrenees dog I got is not working out. She broke her collar, so when I got home from spending a fortune on feed, there she was running around in the road in front of the house! Right where my other dog got hit and killed. So I put a new collar on her, put her on a tie out and started taking the chickens out of the boxes. I got three roosters from a friend, and she wanted me to take them to the sale. I put one in a cage by himself, and I started to put the two polish into another cage. One went in, I got the second out of the box, and suddenly the first one was missing! So i put the second one in , and set a box on top
of the cage. Next thing I know, the other rooster is loose, and so is the dog, who is in hot pursuit of the first rooster!!!! At this point, the dog does not want to come to me, because she is having too much fun. Finally I got hold of her, and put her in the garage. The roosters were so agitated, they were no where to be seen. .... Then I started feeding chick,ens. I had a 50 lb. bag of feed, a bucket of chick starter and a LOT of eggs , plus some hay in the back of the mule. I went down to see the pigs and then started driving the mule up the hill. CRASH!!! The whole back of the mule DUMPED everything on the ground. ARGH!!
And, my cell phone died with all of my pictures on it
barnie.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, yes, I can always use help.
I had a really bad day the other day! The Pyrenees dog I got is not working out. She broke her collar, so when I got home from spending a fortune on feed, there she was running around in the road in front of the house! Right where my other dog got hit and killed. So I put a new collar on her, put her on a tie out and started taking the chickens out of the boxes. I got three roosters from a friend, and she wanted me to take them to the sale. I put one in a cage by himself, and I started to put the two polish into another cage. One went in, I got the second out of the box, and suddenly the first one was missing! So i put the second one in , and set a box on top
of the cage. Next thing I know, the other rooster is loose, and so is the dog, who is in hot pursuit of the first rooster!!!! At this point, the dog does not want to come to me, because she is having too much fun. Finally I got hold of her, and put her in the garage. The roosters were so agitated, they were no where to be seen. .... Then I started feeding chick,ens. I had a 50 lb. bag of feed, a bucket of chick starter and a LOT of eggs , plus some hay in the back of the mule. I went down to see the pigs and then started driving the mule up the hill. CRASH!!! The whole back of the mule DUMPED everything on the ground. ARGH!!
And, my cell phone died with all of my pictures on it
barnie.gif

Aw, Deb! What a day! I'm so sorry
hugs.gif

~ Aspen

Well, we all have bad days. Looking forward to spring and getting out. considering getting out of LF and getting banties to cut feed bills. I am loving the bunnies I bought at the sale on Saturday.
bun.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom