Online Tractor Supply Chick Order

kaywould

Songster
5 Years
Nov 17, 2014
South Carolina
ordered 10 Rhode Island Red chicks from tractor supply. You order in groups of 10 so 10 was the least I could order.
10 chicks shipped was $37.44 total. Hard to beat that price for shipped chicks. Ordered December 30th and shipped January 2nd. They come from Hoover’s Hatchery.

Right after I ordered I looked up reviews on here and saw all the negative reviews and tried to cancel my order. They dragged their feet till it was already shipped then said it was now too late to cancel.

Shipped on a Wednesday and tracking said expected arrival was Monday. I called Hoover’s to inquire about it and they had no clue why it said such a long arrival date. As has been the case with most chicks/ducklings/poults I’ve ordered, it never got scanned in shipping so I never knew where they were until called by the post office.

They arrived in the morning on Saturday. Picked them up from the post office and there were 11 healthy chicks.
All appear healthy and vibrant are eating and drinking fine.

In the end it was a positive review, though up until they arrived I was skeptical and expecting the worst.

Glad things worked out well!

I personally think RIR's have gotten a bad rep. I've raised them in the past and thought they were terrific birds...they have a lot of personality and are great layers.

Hope you'll like yours!

Right after I ordered I looked up reviews on here and saw all the negative reviews and tried to cancel my order.
My whole view on online reviews is this. Take them all with a grain of salt.
In my opinion when most people write reviews it is when they have had a bad experience and are upset about something. I think when everything goes great your less inclined to write a positive review just for the simple fact your not upset about anything. So in the end while I do read reviews I don't put a whole lot into them. Just take your experience for example all went well.

I have to admit I have not read the reviews, so I don't know what people were unhappy about. However, many of my chickens and my geese are all from Hoover's, via the local Bomgaars store, and quality-wise, all of my birds have been healthy, which is what matters most to me.

Good luck with your RIR's. I've only had one, and she was personable and quite productive. Ginger Rogers' brown eggs were so large they wouldn't completely fit in egg cartons.

My Little Red Hen, Ruby was a sweet, talkative girl. Sadly, the pet sitter was a moron and through her stupidity allowed Ruby to be murdered by a raccoon. :hit Anyway, Ruby was my only (short-lived) experience with RIRs, but the sentiment seems to be that since the production-bred RIR types are so good at egg-laying, they use themselves up, so to speak, where egg laying is concerned.

My Little Red Hen, Ruby was a sweet, talkative girl. Sadly, the pet sitter was a moron and through her stupidity allowed Ruby to be murdered by a raccoon. :hit Anyway, Ruby was my only (short-lived) experience with RIRs, but the sentiment seems to be that since the production-bred RIR types are so good at egg-laying, they use themselves up, so to speak, where egg laying is concerned.

Sorry for your loss.

Most of the complaints I see about TSC chicks are from folks who go in to buy chicks and don't have a clue what the difference is between pullets and straight run and can't tell the difference between a RIR, BR, or leghorn chick.

And (from what I've encountered anyway) the store personnel isn't necessarily up to snuff on that sort of thing either. Just one example, I've been told by an employee that I have to have a male to have a female lay eggs. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom