Only 1 chick out of 6 eggs my Silkie hatched

Jess Britton

In the Brooder
Aug 21, 2016
Hanska Mn
What am I doing wrong? At day 22 we have an adorable baby chick, but it is now 8 days later and no new chicks, we cracked an egg open and there was a fully grown chick, but was not pipped, alive, moving around before and after breaking egg, etc. Are all the eggs dead? Do I throw the eggs away, too old, way past 21 days? Any advice on what happened or what I can do next time?

Were all the eggs set on the same day ? If not, staggered hatches are generally a problem.
Its one silkie, with 6 eggs laid one aftee another every day, still way past 21 days, I dont know what I could have done differently? They were under the hen the whole time, didnt use an incubater

Well there ya go. Hen incubated is left to the hens skill/knowledge of it. If it literally was an egg each day, and she sat the whole time anyways, minus getting food and potty breaks done, the. They would be staggered out... but 8 days is kinda out there, though mine have been2 days late when off by a degree or so (in an incubator) If you wanna know without breaking eggs open, candle them at night. Bright small light (cellphone light works most of the time) and see if you see movement or anything... is she still on the eggs even though there is a chick out?!

Im so sorry, I thought I posted (but I left it out) that I did candle and no movement. Today I went out there and she moved to a different nesting box and left eggs there. They all have "chicks" in there from the candling, they just never hatched : ( Im so glad I at least was able to get 1 chick out of it

Back
Top Bottom