Only 2 chickens heading into winter - what to do?

vermontgal

Crowing
14 Years
Mar 24, 2008
Salt Lake City / Sugarhood
Last summer, I had a flock of four baby chicks. My EE Liona died soon after she started laying (heart attack?), and unfortunately today a dog broke into my chicken run and killed one of my BR, Sam.

This leaves me heading into severe Vermont winter with only 2 chickens, BR and production red. I worry about only 2 chickens on 2 accounts. First, if something should happen to one of them, it is very lonely to be an only chicken. Second, they will have a harder time keeping warm in the coop. Last winter there were 4.

I don't really want to do adult-additions to the flock. Should I try to add chicks at this late date? We could have frost within the 4-5 weeks. By the end of October (8 weeks) we might already be having snow. I had planned to add 2 chicks next spring. Opinions/ advice? Thanks.

I got chicks in October last year and they had a lot of feathers by the time the really cold stuff hit. I of course kept a heat lamp on them until they were ready. They all did fine.
I wish you lived closer I would give you some babies. I have babies everywhere.
tongue.png

I don't think it's too late. I have broody hens still.

I have an abundance of chickens and live only 45 min. from you. I have a group of 10 week olds that are fully feathered and will do well this winter. I also have a sweet, sweet red sex link that's a year and a half and a year old Buff Orp - both great layers. If you'd like a chicken or two you are welcome to one or two of these. (I have about 16 others and 8 eggs about to hatch!) I do think a few more bodies would help your girls a lot this winter!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom