ooey gooey baby ducks? Update ... totally gross and weird !!! Conjoined twins....any duck people?

the4heathernsmom

Songster
11 Years
Jul 1, 2008
east texas
When ducks are hatching are they supposed to be extra gooey and gunk covered like slimey? I have some duck eggs trying to hatch and they look just over slimey compared to a chick hatching.

Last edited:
I believe it's normal for them to be a little slimey. They should dry out soon.

cant post pic right now...they are not out of shell yet ...overdue...but a couple are covered with just ooze for lack of better description, it is like clear mucous.....no yellow and it has dark veins in it so i know it is part of membrane....trying not to help them but i did a little :( they are chirping and lively but not all the way ready to come out yet.....then I have one I tapped hole for air in air cell area I can see in but it is a dark duck and has not internally pipped yet.....I think it might be a muscovy instead of the regulars it is moving but still has lots of room in there to grow some more

cant post pic right now...they are not out of shell yet ...overdue...but a couple are covered with just ooze for lack of better description, it is like clear mucous.....no yellow and it has dark veins in it so i know it is part of membrane....trying not to help them but i did a little :( they are chirping and lively but not all the way ready to come out yet.....then I have one I tapped hole for air in air cell area I can see in but it is a dark duck and has not internally pipped yet.....I think it might be a muscovy instead of the regulars it is moving but still has lots of room in there to grow some more

Well, if it were me.. I'd keep them moist/wet with a q-tip and warm water every couple hours or so and keep the humidity up.

If that one you pipped is Muscovy it might not even be due yet.

Usually, when ducks hatch extra-gooey, it's because the humidity was too high in the incubator during incubation (weeks 1 - 3). If they manage to internally pip without drowning in the goo, they're usually fine - but when they do hatch, if the goo covering them is sticky and looks like egg white, gently wash them in warm water to get it all off! If it dries, it's like glue and can basically glue their eyes and bum-holes shut and dry their legs so stiff and straight that they can't walk! I've had this happen before I learned to incubate all my eggs dry (in my climate, they don't need any extra humidity) - it's not pretty!

gross!!!! ugghhhh! I lost the extra ooey gooey one still waiting on the others........
fl.gif

Back
Top Bottom