Open-air coop in Coastal NC

Sep 25, 2020
S. Coastal NC
A little over a week ago, I posted the beginnings of what was (at the time) going to be our coop for our future chickens. So many comments were encouraging me to rethink our plans and offered up some great advice! (Thread here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/honey-im-building-the-coop.1500268/)

I hadn't replied because, to be honest, I was stumped. I wanted to come back with some good ideas and incorporate what I had been told! 😅

I also realized that I hadn't actually shown any plans or gone into detail. That's not going to be a problem in this thread; I've come with plans! :D

------

First off, the plan is now to build a coop that is 12' wide, 16' long, and a height of 8-9'. It will be enclosed on the front half to allow for protection from gusts of wind from across my backyard, but will be enclosed with wire on the other half (protected from the wind.)

The chickens will not be in their coop 24/7, but will be allowed out all day with ample hiding spots in the free range area outside their coop. I plan on planting fruit trees, garden veggies, and placing a chicken safe compost pile in the pasture for them to pick from (I'll have my own garden/farm on the other side of the yard, so any of these foods will be really for them to mainly have.)

------

Free Range Area.jpg

^ This is the area they'll be living in. The coop iteself is just under 200sq ft, and the area that will be fenced in (from large ground predators) is around 7,000 sq ft. :love

photo_2021-11-16_11-12-54.jpg

^ Here is a painted version of what I'm thinking. I'm hoping to get a rainwater collection system installed for their water, and I plan on doing a deep litter method so we can use their bedding for compost :) I don't think I'll keep more than 25-30 chickens in here at a time, this will be for my egg layers and any babies they raise. I'll have a tractor system in a small meadow on the otherside of the property for meat birds.

photo_2021-11-16_11-13-02.jpg
photo_2021-11-16_11-13-05.jpg

photo_2021-11-16_11-12-56.jpg
photo_2021-11-16_11-12-59.jpg

^ Here is what I've drawn as far as the look of the coop. :love

photo_2021-11-16_11-13-08.jpg

^^ And this is what the draft/air exchange of the coop will ultimately look like. I realize I didn't draw up a 3D render, but where the roosts are will be a small wall partition to block any small drafts from the forest (the forest is thick though, so I don't anticipate many 'gusts')

----

I live near the southern North Carolina coast (a quick 15 minute drive to the ocean) so it is hot and extremely humid here most of the year. It rarely gets below 30F here, so I've taken the route of focusing on the hot months (it stays 85-95F six months out of the year) than try and box up my chickens for a cold that they can ultimately handle on their own. 🥰

I am beyond excited for this build, especially because I've designed it myself, and also because my husband and son are really excited to help this dream happen!

Updates coming soon!

Great design! Your birds should thrive.
Are you enclosing their pen with electrified netting or adding hot wires to the exterior?

We're going to enclose the free ranging area with a 4' welded wire fencing, and once they get bigger we might add a couple of hot wires on the exterior :D

I keep going back and forth about adding netting overhead, but it's a huge space and thinking about cleanup after a hurricane makes me pause. Haha!

I love it!

Airy and comfortable for our brutal climate.

Using the woods for shelter is wise.

What's the predator situation like in your area? If you've got feral pigs you'll definitely want hot wires to protect the birds and to protect their food storage.

Thank you @3KillerBs! I've learned a lot from your build. You've been a great wealth of info for my own plans. :)

So, the location where we're at is very low on predators. We have many up and coming housing developments in our county (Brunswick), and especially right in our area. Most of the larger predators have been scared off by the construction and housing developments.

We've heard of some coyotes that have been spotted not far from us (though it's been awhile), and the usual list that people talk about around here are alligators, hawks, eagles, foxes, raccoons, and the occasional black bear (but their land has been pushed further away from the coast.)

I'm planning on completely wiring in the coop with 1/2in hardware cloth and an extra large skirt around the base. The fencing around the 7000sq ft is going to be initially 4ft high galvanized steel. The coop will be fort knox, and once we can assess the dangers in our area (we still are finishing up our own human 'coop' lol) then I think we'll add a couple of hot wires to the 4' fence. 😄

We're going to enclose the free ranging area with a 4' welded wire fencing, and once they get bigger we might add a couple of hot wires on the exterior :D

I keep going back and forth about adding netting overhead, but it's a huge space and thinking about cleanup after a hurricane makes me pause. Haha!

Thank you @3KillerBs! I've learned a lot from your build. You've been a great wealth of info for my own plans. :)

So, the location where we're at is very low on predators. We have many up and coming housing developments in our county (Brunswick), and especially right in our area. Most of the larger predators have been scared off by the construction and housing developments.

We've heard of some coyotes that have been spotted not far from us (though it's been awhile), and the usual list that people talk about around here are alligators, hawks, eagles, foxes, raccoons, and the occasional black bear (but their land has been pushed further away from the coast.)

I'm planning on completely wiring in the coop with 1/2in hardware cloth and an extra large skirt around the base. The fencing around the 7000sq ft is going to be initially 4ft high galvanized steel. The coop will be fort knox, and once we can assess the dangers in our area (we still are finishing up our own human 'coop' lol) then I think we'll add a couple of hot wires to the 4' fence. 😄

This is great!

I don't have bear, feral pigs, or alligators myself.

Just be aware, your chickens will use the visitors bench as a poop board, lol.

I saw a coop page here somewhere that had a built-in bench with a hinged cover.

I personally have plastic lawn chairs in the coop and run upside down. The chickens like them that way as shade and cover and I flip them over when I want to sit down.

I personally have plastic lawn chairs in the coop and run upside down. The chickens like them that way as shade and cover and I flip them over when I want to sit down.
I borrowed this idea, and it works really well. When I was integrating chicks this last summer, the upside down chair was a great hideout that the adults couldn't get into. It's also more "clutter" in the run.

I've taken it out now; it's too cold to sit out in the run most days. So I sit in the coop for a bit during "chickie snack time."

@thehomesteadwitch, you are really putting a lot of thought and planning into this! That's great!

One thing you might need to do, is put some shade cloth over the clear panels in the roof during the summer. I put some slightly opaque (83% light transmission) polycarbonate panels up for a roof on part of my run a couple months ago. I'm pretty sure I'll need some shade cloth to keep the temp down inside.

Back
Top Bottom