Open front coop done, chicken yard in progress

Pics
That's great your birds don't seem to be stressed by the high temps! That was something I fought with all the time at our old place in north FL.

Less humidity here though, so the mister is actually effectuve. Probably not so much in FL.

Low humidity makes huge difference. My birds, and I, suffer way more when the humidity rises.

Electrolyte/vitamin formulation?
Really helps here.

Yes, the stuff in the blue packets. It helps quite a bit and they like it iced.

20190704_135320_Signature.jpg
20190704_131244_Signature.jpg
20190704_131236_Signature.jpg
20190704_131216_Burst01_Signature.jpg
20190704_131158_Signature.jpg
20190704_131149_Signature.jpg

Feeder upgrade should prevent ants in the FF. Put in some pine shavings, decided on deep litter and I'm going to have to be less lazy about it. Bare floor just wasn't working in there. I had to entice the flock back into the coop with some scratch and bugs after adding it, they freaked out a little bit.

Newspaper works best on the poop board and can go straight to the compost bin so that's a big win. One paper a week on Sunday is enough for the coop and the mealworms too.

The chicks are 11 weeks today.

The FF dish looks deep, can they reach the bottom?

BTDT...was funny once it was over.

It's only about 3" deep and just high enough off the ground to keep ants out. They bend over to eat. Little chicks will have a problem but they will likely climb right in...

Last edited:
I really love your setup here... I was going to go with a more enclosed coop but really I may just go with this model--in Louisiana the heat and humidity are KILLER. And it'll be easier to do a deep clean.

View attachment 1834884 View attachment 1834885 View attachment 1834886 View attachment 1834887 View attachment 1834888 View attachment 1834889

Feeder upgrade should prevent ants in the FF. Put in some pine shavings, decided on deep litter and I'm going to have to be less lazy about it. Bare floor just wasn't working in there. I had to entice the flock back into the coop with some scratch and bugs after adding it, they freaked out a little bit.

Newspaper works best on the poop board and can go straight to the compost bin so that's a big win. One paper a week on Sunday is enough for the coop and the mealworms too.

The chicks are 11 weeks today.

Nice to get an update IM! I sure like the white washing you did on the interior (I know you did it way back, but wanted to mention how nice it looks) :thumbsup

I really love your setup here... I was going to go with a more enclosed coop but really I may just go with this model--in Louisiana the heat and humidity are KILLER. And it'll be easier to do a deep clean.

Thanks! Yes, this setup is very easy to keep clean. It only takes about 15 minutes per week except once a month when I get out the vacuum... only 30 minutes max for that though.

Back
Top Bottom