Open mouth breathing - flu? Video *update* - vet dx airsacculitis/pneumonia can we treat with antibiotics?

egz

Chirping
Apr 15, 2022
Vermont
My 2 year old faverolle suddenly started having respiratory issues today. She seemed fine in the morning, and then had a sudden cough/hacking attack followed by gurgling breathing. It was so startling I picked her up and rushed her to some water because I thought she might be choking, which she didn't drink. Although it became more mild, she continued to mouth breathe all day and seemed a little lethargic compared to her flock mates - not always keeping up with them. I saw her drink water and eat worms/some pear although I don't recall seeing her eat pellets the rest of the day. No diarrhea - in fact I saw her poop and it looked a little on the dry side. I sent a video to our vet who is out of town but said to be concerned if it continues and see a neighboring vet tomorrow.

I checked on her this evening and she continues to do this open mouth breathing while she's roosting. Tomorrow I'll check on her early in the morning and determine whether to go to the vet.

Obviously the avian flu is high on my list of concerns. Any other thoughts or suggestions? They eat layer pellets and free range, coop is pine shavings and cleaned daily. No lice or mites.

Welcome To BYC

She probably inhaled a piece of food or something, but I would look inside her beak for any lesions or canker. Check to make sure her crop is empty in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.

If a bird is choking, then you don't want to give water. They have no gag reflex and can easily aspirate and die.

Welcome To BYC

She probably inhaled a piece of food or something, but I would look inside her beak for any lesions or canker. Check to make sure her crop is empty in the morning before she's had anything to eat/drink.

If a bird is choking, then you don't want to give water. They have no gag reflex and can easily aspirate and die.
Thanks so so much. I didn’t see any lesions when I checked in her beak today but I didn’t use a flashlight so I’ll try that too in the morning. Thanks for the advice on water and choking too. If it is the case that she inhaled something/there’s an obstruction what can we do for her?

I am a long time reader of this forum and it was time to make an account. Wonderful people on here.

This won't help, but.... A little yard pullet was snatching kibble out of the dog's bowl. It's foo-foo dog kibble with different shapes and flavors. The pullet got a bone-shaped piece caught in her throat (like a fish bone LOL) and was walking around with her mouth wide open. When I chased and tried to catch her it finally went down.

This won't help, but.... A little yard pullet was snatching kibble out of the dog's bowl. It's foo-foo dog kibble with different shapes and flavors. The pullet got a bone-shaped piece caught in her throat (like a fish bone LOL) and was walking around with her mouth wide open. When I chased and tried to catch her it finally went down.
This made me smile during a pretty anxious time :) thank you!

I checked on her this morning, I couldn't feel her crop so I think it emptied overnight. She was still open-close mouth breathing but very subtly. However, when I picked her up to check her mouth it definitely became worse - complete open mouth breathing and slight wheezing. When I put her down it goes back to the subtle mouth breathing. I noticed this yesterday too when I picked her up to check in her mouth. Calling the vet soon and will let you know how everything goes. Thanks so much for the help.

I'm glad the vet will be able to see her.

The breathing being worse when you pick her up/hold her, then she may have some fluid in the abdomen (Ascites) but what's causing that symptom, it's hard to know. Reproductive problems, liver disease, heart failure can be some causes.
Possible she may just have respiratory infection as well.

Let us know what your vet says.

Back
Top Bottom