Open ulcer on chicken abdomen

It does look like breast blister to me, which is like a pressure sore. If she's laying down a lot, that's what can happen.
@casportpony has a short tutorial about how to clean it out in this thread. Chicken pus does have to be removed, it will not dry up on its own. Once cleaned out, chances are better at it healing and closing up.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ister-graphic-pictures.1096276/#post-16850510

Have you tried propping her on rolled up towels to help get the pressure off her breast?
If she can't stand for long periods of time, then a sling may be helpful. She can stand, but be supported by the sling.
Alternating her positions can help with healing too. It would be similar to having a patient in bed the majority of the time, you have to keep moving and turning them to help prevent sores.

:hugsI'm sorry to hear about Clyde, I'm sure Bonnie and you both miss him. At 3 1/2 years, you've done a good job taking care of them. Bonnie looks like a sweet girl.
Thanks for your input. She’s on towels but she still likes to move around. It’s finally healing. I got some salve at the feed store and I hope it does the trick. It’s hard to keep vet wrap around the whole body as she even figured out how to get a toe in there and pull it off the wound. Then when I kneel on the floor, she has to hop over and try to get on my lap. When she was young, she hopped halfway across the yard with Clyde scurrying right behind her for lap time. Sure miss that boy. He used to put his head on my neck and just cozy up to me.

Back
Top Bottom