Open wound with maggots

tacherny

Hatching
10 Years
Jul 5, 2009
My Grandmother has a rooster that is about 1.5yo. He had diahrreaha for a few days and when she went to clean off his foot she noticed he has a huge open wound below his bathroom spot. It's about the size of a fifty cent piece at least and it seems to have exposed his intestines. Around that area is rotting flesh that has maggets in it. She has been cleaning it and putting neosporin on it. I really don't know anything at all about chickens but Charlie means the world to my grandmother so I'd like to help anyway I can. PLEASE HELP!! Also he is still eating and acting fine...thanks for any help!

Last edited:
I've never experienced anything like that. I am sure you will get some advise from someone here. "bump"
hmm.png

I'd suggest you change the title of the thread to something like, open wound with maggots.

First, she needs to get the maggots out of the wound. And she needs to get the chicken indoors in a clean box or cage til he recovers, if he can; sorry, it sounds pretty serious if intestines are showing. Continue to clean and apply Neosporin.

Here is a list of questions that we really need the answers to:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=3569

I would also find out if the chicken has ever been wormed, or treated for lice/mites. The chicken should be examined (at night) for lice or mites. Look at the base of the feathers and on the skin for tiny eggs or tiny crawling critters. Dust with poultry dust if found.

If a pic is possible, it could be helpful.

I'll subscribe to this so it does not get lost. I am no expert with all the answers you need, but know enough to get you started.

Good luck!

I'm usually pretty optimistic about healing the wounds and illnesses that are posted here (BYC members are incredible) but if the rooster has an open wound with maggots and part of the intestine are showing it might be best to take him to a vet. He might have been OK if this was caught early but I think this needs professional help.

Sorry if I offended anyone by mentioning a vet.

Quote:
You're quite right, I never think of this because it is not an option for so many on here, for several reasons. Of course it would be best, if possible.

:(sorry about the rooster. keep giving him the neosporin. the maggots need to go however. keep inside and take to a vet imeadietly

I understand. I really do. If a vet is really concerned about the animals he/she treats (and not their Lexus) most will take payments if it is discussed before treatment begins. About a year ago I paid $10.00 a week for the treatment I needed for one of my animals. I ate a lot of pinto beans for a while but I got it paid.

It's not just the cost, although of course that can be a factor. Many vets will not see chickens. I discussed this with mine not long after I got chickens, not because I had a problem, just to find out. He knows I will pay him; I have been going to him for years. He treats many farm animals but will not treat chickens. He did offer to help me get some help from the state or the ag college if I needed it. He drives an old pickup; this is a small town and he barely supports his family with his practice. I did not ask his reason for not treating chickens. I got the impression that most vets around here will not. Have not had the need, knock on wood, so have not checked this out.

And if it is the cost, I think we need to respect that choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for all of your suggestions, I am very appreciative. She did move him into the garage in a clean cage hoping that will keep the flies away. She has been cleaning it twice a day to get the maggots out and then dressing it with neosporin. I will try to get a pic posted tomorrow and some more info for ya'll. I do believe my Grams will take Charlie to the Vet tomorrow however, it was a holiday weekend and she is on a fixed income. I will keep ya'll posted. I've never seen a more mild mannered and pretty rooster.

There is a bar with a SEARCH button you can use to search this forum ... there have been many posts on maggots
She will need to use a saline flush (dissolve one tsp of salt in a quart of boiled water for this ) and put in a clean squirt type of plastic container that you can literally squirt the salt water out of into the wound... you must flush and keep flushing and removing the maggots (anything you see squirming) out of that wound... then do it again in a couple of hours and keep doing it until no more maggots are coming out. I would keep him inside in a room I am SURE no flies can gain access to until that wound is healed ... so easy for this to happen again at this time of year.

Back
Top Bottom