Openish coop in a 'mild' climate?

PouleChick

Crowing
7 Years
Apr 6, 2016
SW France
I've still not managed to build our big coop and just managing with what we have but not ideal! I had / have a plan in my head about what i'd like to do but again today drove past a guy who has his chooks in one of those strong wire run things that you can buy and it got me thinking again. Up the back he has filled in the back with wood and attached roosting bars etc and nesting boxes but basically it is an open coop with roofing (some sort of plastic I think - hard to tell it is a bit of a distance from the road), covered with 3 walls around the roosting / nesting area at the thin back end of the run. I also saw a pic on here of an English woman who posted briefly years ago and lives around here who also had basically an open coop (wire sides or at least front).

It made me wonder, do I actually need to build a really full on 4 sided wood coop? Would they actually be healthier with a more open style? Are there other styles other than Wood's (which I love but is awkward with the needing to open to the south on my chook area) that are a 'real' plan?

Here are some climate facts to help get your ideas!

• We have 3 months a year of pretty hot - can be over 30c most days adn we usually get spells over 40c.
  • Spring and autumn can be really mild - an extreme example but have a pic of my youngest playing at 6 pm in early November in a water filled mortar tray using it as a swimming pool! Generally warm from April, even March can be nice and generally don't need evening heat until midOctober and late for all day heating.
  • We don't (well rarely) get snow. Can be cold'ish (2 winters ago had a week or so down to -12c overnight but this as rare). But generally i'd say wet and mild - spells of overnights just either side of freezing the norm.
  • Generally I'd say lowest we would get and by no means every year would be -10c (14f) (the temps mentioned above were a rare extreme).
Would love any ideas as I've not yet started my new coop! What do you do if you live in such a climate or what would you do?

We have run attached to a 3 sided coop and we live in much more windy rainy climate but it works perfectly well :) during winter we attached some tarp to coop front to kill the wind and birds are fine whith just that :) the run has clear corugated plastic roofing so they aren't being rained or snowed on directly and weve had no issues! During summer the open side helps keep coop aired in high heat when wind blows through although it can get hot we also have a window on the side that can be opened to help get more airflow.
20181212_152459.jpg

I think you'd be fine with a 3 sided coop. I would still face the open side towards the south or southeast. Your climate sounds at least somewhat comparable to mine and although my coop is not 3 sided, I'm sure my chickens would do just fine if it were. When I was a kid we didn't even have a coop and the chickens roosted in a cedar tree. They were fine.

A lot depends on how long the periods below freezing last. My climate is similar to yours except for the heat part-- we're similar to southern England. I do feel the need for an enclosed, 4 wall coop, just to keep them warm and dry during times when it goes below freezing. And sometimes we have freezing weather for a week straight, or longer, but that is rare. The main problem, in my mind, is when that type of weather comes suddenly, and the chickens haven't had time to adapt.

I think you should go with your instinct on this matter. Also, if there are other people raising chickens successfully in open coops in your area, try it and see how it goes.

Our climate is very hot in the summer, mild fall and spring, can get down to below freezing in winter with wind.

Our coop has an open front covered with hardware cloth and the option to add shade screens and/or solid panels as weather dictates.

Tall enough to walk in and clean without having to remain stooped over. I don't have a run but if we needed one it would be easy to add.

I think that in your climate something like what you are describing is perfect.

So... like this:

cedarpet-ranch2_1.jpg

The 3 sided back area can be made deeper to keep out rare snow or blowing wind.

My baby sister has the coop below in Texas. The front of the coop is all open, only the back sides around the perches are mostly solid. There is no glass, just wire in the strip that is open.

The eves are deep enough so that rain rarely if ever blows in.

She does on occasion get snow, hail, ice and such, but usually not for long.
20160604_195548.jpg

Thanks for all your feedback and pictures, sounds like the consensus is that it would work! I was talking to dh yesterday and I realised that even outside temps would be far higher here than inside an unheated coop in some of the places you guys live!
We have run attached to a 3 sided coop and we live in much more windy rainy climate but it works perfectly well :)
I like that you can cover up when needed. We have very little wind here which is nice!
:caf Following... Will be extending soon & have been considering this given our climate.
I wouldn't even hesitate in Queensland! I'd make sure I can cover as needed for those lovely tropical storms though :lol:
I would still face the open side towards the south or southeast.
I have a couple of reasons that I'm unsure about this - firstly the existing concrete base I have doesn't face that way. Also the majority of our weather comes from that direction (ie rain blowing in). What is the theory about coops needing to face south?
A lot depends on how long the periods below freezing last. My climate is similar to yours except for the heat part-- we're similar to southern England
I think the only time I've ever seen the temps stay below freezing in the day was in that one cold spell a couple of winters ago - it lasted maybe a week at the most. Generally we can have just below freezing and a frost overnight and then it will pop up to at least 5c in the days even on cold days, often hotter.

The main problem, in my mind, is when that type of weather comes suddenly, and the chickens haven't had time to adapt.
I can see that being tough on them.
Also, if there are other people raising chickens successfully in open coops in your area, try it and see how it goes.
That is a point - especially if I do a plan that will be easy to cover in if I want to.
Not sure if this is similar. :)
That is nice!
Our climate is very hot in the summer, mild fall and spring, can get down to below freezing in winter with wind.
Sounds similar to here.
Our coop has an open front covered with hardware cloth and the option to add shade screens and/or solid panels as weather dictates.
See that is quite a good idea making it moduable - I like the idea of taking of side panels for the summer and leaving them on in the winter - that could be best of both worlds.

Tall enough to walk in and clean without having to remain stooped over.
Oh this is so happening - hate my current coop as it is a raised one!
I think that in your climate something like what you are describing is perfect.
I'm thinking so!
The front of the coop is all open, only the back sides around the perches are mostly solid.
That is nice.
Thanks all - I'll have to have a ponder / plan drawing session!

Back
Top Bottom