Opinion on nesting boxes

Cool!! That oughta help!

Still might need perches, about 6-7 inches away from the front of the drawer, especially on the upper one.
They like to look before stepping inside.

Thanks aart, I will work on that next but I will probably need hubby's help on that. I'm not that good with tools even though I try sometimes.

Thanks mamadawn! I hope they like it. My BA should be laying late this afternoon according to the little pattern she has going so we shall see. If it's even in the dishpans I tucked in the corner I'll be happy!

I like your changes!! I was going to suggest wedging the tubs in so they do not move. I use 3 tubs lined up side by side along one end of my coop. My coop is temporary… well as temporary as being their only home for the last year… buuuuut maybe this winter I will get to their big coop. Anyhow, mine are just on the ground. I like the tubs because you can take them out and clean them every so often. I even had a broody raise a clutch of chicks in one!! I never had a problem with them laying anywhere other than the tubs.

They do like privacy, though, so I think your changes are great!

Ughhhh I have no idea what else to do. My Penguin insists on laying on the floor, usually in the middle of the coop. She's laid 7 eggs in 10 days which is absolutely awesome. The 6th egg she must have laid at night while roosting because it was right under where she sits and it must have broke so the chickens ate it. :(

She has peeked in at all the nest boxes many many times, I have yet to see her actually get in and try one though. I don't think the golf balls are persuading her that its a safe place to lay. Anyone else have any other suggestions on how to get her to lay in the boxes?? So far she is our only layer but we have 4 more that are the same age and at least 1 maybe 2 of those girls looks about ready to start anytime soon and I really don't want them to follow suit. Plus I don't want them breaking and the chickens eat them.

When I first put a nest in my junior coop I actually put the oldest hen inside the nest and gently held here there for about 5 minutes.

This worked pretty well for me in part because she was used to me handling her and tho she doesn't really care to be held I've always calmly insisted that this is what was going to happen so she accepted it. Be very calm yourself and talk to her quietly shushing her if she fusses.

But she still needs to be able to easily walk in and out of the nest....did you put anything up to facilitate her access to the nest?
You could even put a concrete block or something in front of the nests to give her a step up....maybe pull those curtains back a bit too.

Maybe take the golf ball out of the space she laid before and hold her in there for a few minutes.

Just some ideas, sorry y u're having trouble...hang in there.

Back
Top Bottom