Opinions on best egg layers

My Marans, Delawares, Minorcas, RIR,New Hampshires, Sussex, Anconas, Red Leghorn, and Andalusians give me 5-6 a week. All of my birds forage, eat freshly grown vegetables, and are served fodder year round. Mealworms are given 3-4 times a week At this time of year we also offer oatmeal with fermented foods mixed in. There is always organic layer feed, oyster shells and grit. We do no more than 2 lbs of feed a day for all 75 chickens.

Australorp, Barred. Marans, Leghorns, Orpingtons. Easter Eggers are all heavy egg layers. The Australorp are also excellent meat birds. Australorp are excellent dual purpose. I have crossed Australorp with Marans. This is proving to be a very good move.
Cool. I think I may try that mix next year. I have Cuckoos now, but some Blues in the incubator. Not only would they be gorgeous, but good layers.

Silkies are just adorable! Too bad we have to have some self control on chicken math. We do have one feisty Leghorn named "Orange". She and I are in a love/hate relationship. She only cuddles with me when she is indoor, otherwise, she wants to bite me sometimes whenever I go near her in the run. The other three are just angels since birth. In terms of egg laying, can't complaint about that.
Is that a saddle/apron in the last pic. It is something serious.

We live on a lot of land and we had 50 chickens thay are great. I do not know what kind they are. But I'll get back in touch with you once I figure out.

We have Barred Rocks, and Orptingtons. We have a total of 13 birds and get anywhere from 7-10 eggs a day. We also have an easter egger, but we can figure out when she lays! Sour milk has increased our laying in the past.

I have 6 white leghorns and I get 6 eggs every day and if i get 5 one day the next day ill get 5 and a huge double yolk-eri love my White Leghorns
D.gif

Hey wesnmads!

You don't mean to tell me that big white egg came from a New Hampshire hen do you? They lay brown eggs, not white.

Perhaps you have a leghorn or another white egg laying hen in your chicken house. If not, you have a rarity, take the show on the road!

Enjoy your chickens! They're great therapists and cheaper than a shrink.

Back
Top Bottom