Opinions on best egg layers

Have had egg layers for 12 yrs, mostly hatchery/TSC bought, and the Redstars have produced xl brown eggs and am stunned given their tiny, appx 4 lbs, size.Not the prettiest birds but they are excellent foragers, hardy, easily handled.

Have had egg layers for 12 yrs, mostly hatchery/TSC bought, and the Redstars have produced xl brown eggs and am stunned given their tiny, appx 4 lbs, size.Not the prettiest birds but they are excellent foragers, hardy, easily handled.

how long do they live and for how long do they lay?

Not sure on longevity of this mix of breed or years they lay well but our Redstars are slaughtered at appx 3 yrs of age to make room for young layers. They slow down after 3 yo and I personally have too many pet birds already to allow the Redstars to stay.

it is a pity people cull red stars. I didn't consider them when I decided to get some chickens, but they are so sweet. when I open the coop in the morning they sing happily, like trumpets! they make my day. 2 of them have been recovering from the infectious bronchitis. they were sick for 7- 10 days. my vet told me it would take 1 or 2 months before they return to normal laying. but they have been laying every day! unfortunately, I still cannot eat those eggs.

thank you. I hope my chicken will live long although I am a bit worried as they were sick at young age. I am fermenting their feed now so that they get all the good bacteria again.

I have a Black Astrolorp, just coming onto 2 yrs old and she's only laying once every 2 weeks. However I have a same age Easter Egger (2 actually) that are laying about 5 a week. I have two other 1 yr old Easter Eggers that are about 6 a week as well.

The Astrolorp better start laying or she's going to be Sunday dinner! (just kidding, I don't think I could do that)

I've had white leghorns in the past when I was raised on the farm-at one time we had over 500 chicks; production wise they are the best. But, they can be mean. They peck me quite often. Now that I live inside the city limits I have only Wyandottes; 16 and 5 differ-silver laced, golden laced, white, columbian, and the beautiful blue laced reds! Wyandottes are docile, quite, great layers and do well in smaller areas. My friend that lives north of town has 250 red sex links, very good layers also, docile, and excellent food to production returns.

Back
Top Bottom