Opinions on gender? 4 wk old Australorps.

MistyLuci

In the Brooder
Mar 19, 2016
My two Australorp chicks are 4 weeks old now and one is definitely a roo. Not sure about the second chick though. I'm thinking maybe 2 roos because I've seen them jump at each other play fighting (do pullets do that?) My first chick raising experience so it's all new to me :)

I got a bunch of photos today when we took them out into the sun run for a play, so thought I might as well see what other people think!

Cheepy Chicken 1 is the one that has got to be a roo. He's in the back in all the following photos. Cheepy Chicken 2 is the one that has me guessing still.

And in these photos Cheepy Chicken 1 is the one on the right;

Interested to see what other people think :) Another couple of weeks and hopefully I'll know for sure!

Just have to add this one last pic of Cheepy Chicken 1 because it's adorable :)

Pullets definitely do "fight" like that! It is one of the cutest things to me, always gets me laughing. They have these little disputes sometimes. I just attribute it to them working out the pecking order.

Thank you everyone :) Interesting about pullets sparring like that. These two are getting leggier by the day, so I think you are all right and I have two boys!

Cheepy Chicken 1 and Cheepy Chicken 2 have officially been renamed Batman and Robin by my son haha. I hope they can live together peacefully as bachelors!

Last edited:
Thanks :) I'll just have to wait and see. I have other options if it doesnt work out.

Back
Top Bottom