Opinions on using sand in the coop?

HappyClucker7

Bantam Queen
7 Years
Apr 28, 2016
New York
For years I've been using pine shavings in my coop, but this morning I happened to stumble across an article about using sand in the coop instead. The author claims that sand is easier to maintain, decreases bacteria growth, discourages pests, and helps to regulate coop temperature. I've always had sand in my runs, but I never even considered using it in the coop as well. So now I'm wondering, is sand better than shavings, and should I use it in my coop? What are your opinions?

We're in Wisconsin so winters can be brutal and while sand may be cooler in the summer, it will be cold in the winter. We opted many years ago to go with horse bedding pellets. They do all of the above. They main thing is it keeps our coop dry, odor free, and the absolute best thing is, we don't touch the pellets but for once a year when we remove what's left and put fresh back in.

The old stuff we put around trees, bushes, some in the compost bins, and some in the garden. The new stuff is about $8 for a 40# bag at a farm store and we use about 3 bags.

The BEST thing is when we started using them in our brooder. Game changer!

Attachments

• Pellets 2.gif
    Pellets 2.gif
    55.5 KB · Views: 21
  • silkie and ss.jpg
    silkie and ss.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 18
I agree that pellets are perfect for the brooder. The pellets break down to a powder when wet and don’t get as yucky as pine shavings for messy little chicks. We also use them in the coop in combination with the deep litter method. Once or twice a year clean up and no stinky coop!

We're in Wisconsin so winters can be brutal and while sand may be cooler in the summer, it will be cold in the winter. We opted many years ago to go with horse bedding pellets. They do all of the above. They main thing is it keeps our coop dry, odor free, and the absolute best thing is, we don't touch the pellets but for once a year when we remove what's left and put fresh back in.

The old stuff we put around trees, bushes, some in the compost bins, and some in the garden. The new stuff is about $8 for a 40# bag at a farm store and we use about 3 bags.

The BEST thing is when we started using them in our brooder. Game changer!

I agree that pellets are perfect for the brooder. The pellets break down to a powder when wet and don’t get as yucky as pine shavings for messy little chicks. We also use them in the coop in combination with the deep litter method. Once or twice a year clean up and no stinky coop!
Interesting, thanks!

For years I've been using pine shavings in my coop, but this morning I happened to stumble across an article about using sand in the coop instead. The author claims that sand is easier to maintain, decreases bacteria growth, discourages pests, and helps to regulate coop temperature. I've always had sand in my runs, but I never even considered using it in the coop as well. So now I'm wondering, is sand better than shavings, and should I use it in my coop? What are your opinions?
I am a new chicken momma, so I do not have much experience. BUT I am using sand in my coop. It is SO easy. I do have a smaller coop up off the ground so that may sway your decision. I use a sand litter scooper and clean it out every 4 days maybe. it only takes me a minute or two. it stays dry and cool. Unlike the previous poster, I live in Louisiana, so the cold sand is welcomed. It stays dry and so far, I haven't had to change it out. only add to it. The chickens have not complained so far. I haven't had any bug problems either. I hope this helps!

I am a new chicken momma, so I do not have much experience. BUT I am using sand in my coop. It is SO easy. I do have a smaller coop up off the ground so that may sway your decision. I use a sand litter scooper and clean it out every 4 days maybe. it only takes me a minute or two. it stays dry and cool. Unlike the previous poster, I live in Louisiana, so the cold sand is welcomed. It stays dry and so far, I haven't had to change it out. only add to it. The chickens have not complained so far. I haven't had any bug problems either. I hope this helps!
That's very helpful, thank you!

I am a new chicken owner and have only 4 birds, now 14 weeks old. I started with pine shavings in brooder but cleaned it out so often it overwhelmed my compost bin! Once chicks were a few weeks old and knew not to eat the bedding, I switched to a sand/pdz mixture in brooder.

I now use sand/PDZ in my small coop. Love to just sift out poops with my cat litter rake! So far no smell or pests. I also dust the coop corners with lime and DE on occasion. In my 10'x13' run, I throw in weekly grass clippings and use a fine chopped straw. The blogger "Featherbrain" on youtube, I find has very useful information.

I live in Southern New England. Other than an occasional heat wave or blizzard, our summers average 85 degrees and winters 25.

Attachments

• 1690298898846.png
    1690298898846.png
    353.5 KB · Views: 13

Back
Top Bottom