Opinions please!! 4gal buckets as nest boxes as opposed to 5gal?

We will leave a few just in case but start building a row of bigger boxes. I've had the buckets open and available to them for about 2 weeks now so they can get curious and explore. Just watching them get close, though, I'm thinking they will need more turn around room than these shorter buckets provide. Being a first time chicken owner, I had no idea how big these girls can get.. they seem to just keep growing!

We will leave a few just in case but start building a row of bigger boxes. I've had the buckets open and available to them for about 2 weeks now so they can get curious and explore. Just watching them get close, though, I'm thinking they will need more turn around room than these shorter buckets provide. Being a first time chicken owner, I had no idea how big these girls can get.. they seem to just keep growing!
I observed that it was the diameter (width) rather than the depth that was confining.

Update: I have taken out all buckets and built a row of 6 wooden nest boxes that are 14inches high, 16 inches wide and 16 inches deep. All of my hens seem way more interested in these boxes than they ever did with the buckets, a few even getting in to investigate. All is not wasted, though, the buckets are currently being used as outdoor planters
big_smile.png

Update: I have taken out all buckets and built a row of 6 wooden nest boxes that are 14inches high, 16 inches wide and 16 inches deep. All of my hens seem way more interested in these boxes than they ever did with the buckets, a few even getting in to investigate. All is not wasted, though, the buckets are currently being used as outdoor planters
big_smile.png
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom