Ordering a bunch of chicks. Selling?

McGill

Chirping
Jun 4, 2023
Kansas
I've got an order of 25 Whiting true blue female chicks on order for next February. I don't want to keep all 25, but that's the minimum order. Is that a breed that will be easy to sell extras of locally? Is this a thing that people do when ordering chicks?

They are a blue egg layer so people would probably want them. You could sell them for a little bit more than what you bought them for or less depending on your area and others pricing.

My only concern would be: Unless you want to keep a rooster or two, make sure the seller is willing to take back any unwanted roos (if these are unsexed chicks). You can easily sell the extra pullets, I would say.
They are sexed female

That was my plan this summer... then the local farm store got a bazillion chicks in and literally gave them away with the purchase of food! Selling my extra chicks didn't seem likely so I reduced the number of chicks and paid extra for a small order. :idunno

We ordered 35 sexed females that we received in the spring. I was fully expecting to get at least a couple cockerels, but we received ALL pullets. Most hatcheries are quite good at sexing and will provide a guarantee if sexed females were ordered.

Most hatcheries are quite good at sexing and will provide a guarantee if sexed females were ordered.

Read the policy for the particular hatchery to see what the "guarantee" really means. Some are better than others.

I recently saw a thread where someone got a bunch of males-- and the guarantee for that hatchery was to refund the difference between pullet price and cockerel price (a relatively small amount per chick.) I've read of other hatcheries that shipped out replacement females, or refunded the entire cost of the wrong chicks.

Back
Top Bottom