Ordering Pullets

Kuntry Klucker

Crowing
12 Years
Jun 9, 2010
Tennesee Smoky Mts.
Hi All,
We are just getting into the chicken keeping hobby. Can anyone tell me how well ordering pullets go? How they arrive?
and what is the best hatchery to order from? In your experience and opinion.

Thanks.

As far as accuracy goes, I had 100% and I used Cackle.
But I have in the past used McMurray and had the same results. The guarantee live delivery and send a bit extra to insure you will get your order. I have ordered 30, got 33 and saved 32, so I was satisfied.

I really like Ideal. It's the only place I've ever ordered from. I think I've had 5 orders and I have been very happy with each one. I have lost a few chicks (not many) that were either DOA or died the next day (in two shipments I didn't loose any), and they are always good about refunding my money. They also have an excellent selection and low prices, also low shipping cost.

I've ordered from several hatcheries and have always had good luck with getting the number of pullets I ordered. However, if you order a small amount of chicks (usually less than 25) the hatchery may put in extra chicks for warmth in shipping. The extras are called 'packing peanuts' in this instance and are usually MALE. If you order the hatcheries' minimum, then usually any extras are whatever you ordered.

I ordered 15 from Meyer Hatchery in April and all 15 are still alive and well. I would order from them again for sure. Very friendly also.

I've ordered from McMurray twice. I know they are not top show quality chickens, but the price and variety is what caught me. Out of 2 orders (30 and 32 chicks) only one was lost in the first week, and only a few others were lost later.
They come in a small cardboard box with holes in it , and both times when I set my order date to the week of whatever monday seemed convenient, the PO called me at 6-7AM sunday telling me I was free to come to the back door and pick them up if I didn't want to wait for the next day delivery.
Try to pick an delivery date that will be warm!

I have really good luck with privithatchery.com, and theyre one of the few that still have good prices. This last shipment I did lose almost all my cochins, I still dont know why, but they refunded me NO QUESTIONS ASKED.

I have ordered from them many times and this it the first time I have lost anything.

I have had most of their egg laying breeds and am very pleased with their quality and temperaments. EXCEPT for their marans. they SUCK.

I have had good luck with both Ideal and Estes Hatcheries. Estes has excellent Welsummers! From good bloodlines. Their customer service this year was wonderful.

I got my 1st flock from Mt. Healthy last year and they did very well. Out of 15, all were healthy, only 1 was mis-sexed. I still have 11 of my original 13 hens.

Back
Top Bottom