Oregon Gray

interesting quote from the article.

Before Ohio State cut its program, professor Karl Nestor studied a flock of Light Grays raised from poults given to him by researchers at Pennsylvania State. "We were doing a study looking at different plumage color patterns and the effect on economic traits like egg production and growth rate and semen production, and the Light Gray improved semen production," Nestor says.

"As it turned out, the Light Gray was one of the few colors that had a beneficial factor linked to its color. A scientist at Oregon State at the time was studying the same thing, so I shipped him a sample of the Light Grays."

The line I developed is darker than Kevin Porters. I seen another person that has the dark version like mine on the yahoo turkey genetics board.
57076_disneyland_and_turkeys_120.jpg
This is a young one on the left.
57076_disneyland_and_turkeys_114.jpg

I raise some that are very simular. They are not oregon greys though. Just something that I accidently came up with. Still have some work to do with them. They just molted or I would take some pics. Will post some pics on this thread once they start looking decent again.

At first, O Greys didn't interest me much, being I'm already overrun with turkeys. But I just recently placed a poult order with Porter's and although I didn't specifically ask for Greys, I did place them on the substitution list. I'll find out if I am the proud owner of O Greys next May.

I did have an opportunity to purchase a Porter Grey locally. Beautiful bird, but it was a 2 yr old gobbler and passed him up.
he.gif

Beautiful tail feathers Omabird! Any chance of seeing the whole Enchilada?

Here she is at about 4 months old. I can't take decent pictures. I need a better camera and some talent.

57076_disneyland_and_turkeys_067.jpg

Corona Barb. Is that Corona the beer or Corona the city? The big slate hen in the middle I call my dirty slate hen. She is a big hen but not the prettiest. I did not breed her myself. She is a Sandhill turkey. I ordered Blue Palms and Lilacs. I got a suprise package instead. She looks like a dirty slate but does not breed like one. I think she has a brown gene. She had about 40 plus poults hatch this year for me. Good size to them too.

Back
Top Bottom