Oregon

You're right, it's just hard for me because I am NOT a confrontational person. It's also frustrating because she always wants me to call her but a. I can't understand her over the phone because she talks so fast and b. I can't hear well over the phone anyway.

This is the email I sent her, do you think this is fair?

"Hey -----, I hate to do this but I'd like to ask for a refund for the two chicks I got from you. They came to me sick and have never fully recovered. The blue cochin I have has labored breathing and clicking in his chest. He also has a strange looking face and his eyes aren't bright. The silkie is still sneezing and has sounds coming from its chest, doesn't eat well, and has stopped growing.

None of my other chicks have any problems at this point, so it's just the birds from you that are proving to be unthrifty. I normally wouldn't cause a fuss with this but $20 is a lot of money and these birds aren't going to be going into my flock due to their unthriftiness and I don't want to be the one to cull them.

I didn't call because it's hard for me to hear over the phone, so if you could reply with your thoughts and a way to proceed that would be great."

Edit: Got a reply and she was very apologetic. She'll be sending me my money in the mail.

I figured so, hopefully she will cut her losses as well and not treat them and re-sell them. I bet she never discussed the disease either which suggest that she knew.
he.gif
Glad you got your money back and hopefully your birds are OK... quarantine yours for a while to be sure.

I have lots of animals come through here as rescues  and  think that anyone who pays minimal attention should pick up that something isn't right. But a few years back I got a rescue dog shipped from Florida and aside from the owner being WAY OFF about the breed she also did not mention that the dog had a TUMOR the size of a cantaloupe on one of his testicle. I am the sort of person who notices the slightest injury but when I called her to ask about this she seemed genuinely surprised... go figure.

Sorry to hear about your chicks. And yes, they were already sick when you got them so she should refund your money.

perhaps she thought it was another testicle! :)

Hello from NE Portland! Was raised in Grant County and moved to Portland 20 years ago. I have Rhode Island Reds (2), a New Hampshire Red, A "boiler" I rescued from feed store, a mixed americauna, a buff cochin, 2 wild range banties, a six year old silkie, a 6 week old splash silkie chick, a black cochin chick, 3 Americanas with the "Silkie" gene chicks and a half silkie half Mapuche Huestec chick...love that one! Too many for my back yard, but most of the first listed ones are getting old and do not lay as much. Figure father time will take care of numbers soon. They are mostly pets, except the two wild range ones from my mom....got those for eggs!

Will not get Rhode Island reds or New Hampshire reds again...tend to be a bit aggressive to other chickens. Have to admit I like the chicks I hatch best, as I make a point of imprinting them as soon as they hatch. Those chickens are so loveable. Anyone want a 3 year old New Hampshire hen? She lays fine, just not as tame as others and I am getting crowded. All are healthy.

Welcome to the new folks
big_smile.png

I have 9 turkey poults available if anyone is looking for some. 2 Royal Palm and 7 RP x Wild Eastern. Hatch dates 6-8-12 through 6-13-12. PM me if interested.

PS..That Emu baby is adorable!

Chicken coop building was really on track. I took a short break and it started pouring just as I headed back out...So I decided to log onto BYC Oregon to vent to my peeps but now the sun is shinning again... Oh Oregon, you are a fickle mistress.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom