Oregon

I'm still turning heat lamp on my girls at night. How bout the rest of you? It still gets so cold at night, I worry bout them. At what overnight temp should I turn it off.
Should I put golf balls or something in the nest box? My girls are about 4 months old....will they know to lay there? I don't ever see them in the nest boxes.
Chickens can keep themselves plenty warm, just hold one for about 5 minute and feel the heat they generate, you will be surprised. Keep them dry and they will be fine without the heat lamp even in freezing temperatures. I put fake plastic easter eggs that are the color of the eggs my hens will lay in my nest boxes to encourage them to use it. I dont know if it will work yet, as its still about a month before they start laying, but I read that a golf ball or something like that will give them an idea.

I'm still turning heat lamp on my girls at night. How bout the rest of you? It still gets so cold at night, I worry bout them. At what overnight temp should I turn it off.
Should I put golf balls or something in the nest box? My girls are about 4 months old....will they know to lay there? I don't ever see them in the nest boxes.
yep me too!

Hi all, new to the site, new to chickens from Portland, OR.
frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif
Welcome from yer neighbor to the North.

Hey I am seriously thinking about ordering some SQ BBS Jersey Giant hatching eggs or maybe chicks from a breeder back east and I was wondering if anyone would be interested in purchasing some of them? Either way I would end up with some strait run extras I would need to re-home so I would like to know there would be some possible takers now before I order........ just pm me if you would be interested : ) They would be about $20 each for week old chicks which would include the shipping cost and vaccinations.

Thanks
droolin.gif

So she said the chicks can ship on the July 9th hatch if anyone is interested let me know as soon as possible. I would like to order but I don't want to have that many extra chicks for to long. I will have my own silkies and Ameraucanas hatching the same week so I will be pretty full up...... I really want to get some though. She just requires a 15 chick min to ship them..... and I only want 6-8 tops....

I do not understand this....my neighbor has 4 chickens, they are in a fenced area that is maybe 1/8 of an acre, she throws them some livestock feed that is a pellet mixed with some rolled corn and she gets 4 eggs EVERY day. I have 5 hens that should be laying, they are penned up at night, but free range all day and get Layena feed and and the best of care and I am lucky if I get 3 eggs, usually 2 and no, there are no hidden nests! Just does not seem fair!

I do not understand this....my neighbor has 4 chickens, they are in a fenced area that is maybe 1/8 of an acre, she throws them some livestock feed that is a pellet mixed with some rolled corn and she gets 4 eggs EVERY day. I have 5 hens that should be laying, they are penned up at night, but free range all day and get Layena feed and and the best of care and I am lucky if I get 3 eggs, usually 2 and no, there are no hidden nests! Just does not seem fair!

It can depend highly on the breed. You can feed sexlinks or leghorns in their first year of laying complete garbage and they will give you a great egg every single day. They'll be worse for the wear on themselves, but they'll be egg machines. Baby those birds and they'll give you a great egg every single day for more than one year. Now if you had a bunch of silkies or some orpingtons, known for low productivity, good luck on getting your daily egg.

Back
Top Bottom