Oregon

welcome-byc.gif
to all the new members!!!!

Hello Oregon! I'm new.. In Newberg.. and haven't gotten my birds yet. Any advice is welcome. Including where to get my first girls. I have tried to reach out to Farwest Hatchery but no reply yet. Any thoughts? I kind of want a mix of breeds and I'm worried about just wondering down to the wilco to see what they have when I'm ready.

I've been coveting chickens for ages and have finally worn my hubby down. Hooray!
Karen

Hi to all the new people! I am probably new to all because I go through long periods of not posting a thing. Anyway, thought I'd duck in and see what's new around here!

Hey Ekim - where in SEPDX are you? I'm assuming outside the limits of any city ordinances limiting you to 3 chickens. I'm in SEPDX as well...if you consider Clackamas SEPDX :)

We hatched out our most recent brood last July. Two broody mommas - 7 (4 pullets/3 cockerels) out of 12 from our large Australorp Weezy, and 4 (1 pullet/3 cockerels) out of 6 from Little Henny Penny. One of the cockerels escaped and met his demise, one we took to Harrington's in Boring OR for processing, but we subdivided our coops to create 5 flocks that average 1 rooster to about 3 hens each (except for our retirement community that has our four older, less frequently laying hens).

We added some genetic diversity to our flock by mixing some of our own eggs with fertile eggs from Zenger Farm where I volunteer to take care of their chicken flock. Through that endeavor we ended up with some Blue Andalusians, Easter Eggers and RIR.

The set up is working great as I'm able to really see who is and isn't laying and keep a closer eye on overall flock health.

Hello Oregon! I'm new.. In Newberg.. and haven't gotten my birds yet. Any advice is welcome. Including where to get my first girls. I have tried to reach out to Farwest Hatchery but no reply yet. Any thoughts? I kind of want a mix of breeds and I'm worried about just wondering down to the wilco to see what they have when I'm ready.

I've been coveting chickens for ages and have finally worn my hubby down. Hooray!
Karen

It depends on what you are looking for. Egg layers and meaties you could do hatchery birds(farm stores) or breeders. If you want eye candy, breeders. There are plenty on here with high quality birds. I have both. My layer flock is mostly hatchery stock. I have eye candy birds too.

frow.gif
welcome-byc.gif

Define "eye candy"? I'm just spit balling here but I do just want some pretty birds to lay eggs. I'm not looking to breed or show or raise for meat. Like I said I've been coveting the idea of chickens for YEARS! So I think I know what I want... you know how that goes. I've looked at so many birds I have the idea of what I want in my head. but I can only have 5. That's the deal I made with the husband. :(

Define "eye candy"? I'm just spit balling here but I do just want some pretty birds to lay eggs. I'm not looking to breed or show or raise for meat. Like I said I've been coveting the idea of chickens for YEARS!  So I think I know what I want... you know how that goes. I've looked at so many birds I have the idea of what I want in my head. but I can only have 5. That's the deal I made with the husband. :(

If you want a pretty, good egg laying breed, go with Wyandottes. They are pretty, lay eggs all year round, even through winter. Also if you get an unwanted roo they have a good amount of meat on them. I think they are the ultimate dual-purpose breed. But that's just me...:)

Define "eye candy"? I'm just spit balling here but I do just want some pretty birds to lay eggs. I'm not looking to breed or show or raise for meat. Like I said I've been coveting the idea of chickens for YEARS! So I think I know what I want... you know how that goes. I've looked at so many birds I have the idea of what I want in my head. but I can only have 5. That's the deal I made with the husband. :(
Hi Karen! Check out the Oregon Spring Swap thread on Facebook. There is also a website for the swap. The one in the Spring is at the Canby Fairgrounds this year, there is also one in the Fall at the Benton County Fairgrounds in Corvallis. Great place to pick up chicks, POL or laying hens and support local breeders if you can stand waiting until the end of April :)

Back
Top Bottom