Oregon

Good Evening People of Oregon!
I am actually writing this from Phoenix Arizona currently but I am planning a trip out there next month to check out places to live (along with Washington State). I currently have 19 chickens of my own and I know as far as AZ goes there are a lot of places that do not allow any chickens or only a few hens max (up to 6 hens with no roosters and that is if no neighbors complain...). Me and my boyfriend are looking to buy a house in a chicken (and potentially other livestock - goats, cows, pigs, llamas, etc?) city and would like to know the areas to check out when we are there? Where I am currently the only slight threats are feral cats but for the most part they have left the chickens alone or at least I have not had any injuries to them - crosses my fingers and knocks on wood - so can you also enlighten me on the normal chicken dangers in the said areas you suggest? Thank you so much in advance and I look forward to speaking with you all soon!!

when comes to livestock in oregon pretty much all cities have ordinances against it if your with in city limits. Most will allow 1-2 hens as "pets" tho and most with purchase of a permit will allow 4-6 hens. Some cities like reedsport when comes to chickens don't enforce it as they feel they have alot better things to be doing than harassing someone about their chickens since most people now do have chickens their, It would be a never ending battle and just piss off more of the towns folk than it would please. Best bet would be to buy house somewhere right out of city limits tho and be 5-15mins from town, than you can do whatever you please basically.

When comes to predators their is a bunch. Hawks and owls seems to be biggest problem. Though weasels,raccoons,coyotes,bobcats,opossum,skunks do their fair share of damage too. The air predators seem to only kill what they can eat, where the ground predators will kill all your birds if given the chance so their the ones you really want to watch out for. Tho the hawks will learn where to get a easy meal and if you let them they will keep returning for more. Most the time the predators seem to be more of a problem very early in the morning. if you make a enclosed run with top cover and the sides buried 2ft in the ground you will probably be fine. if you dont bury the sides into the ground the ground predators will dig right under them and get in and if you dont have a top cover obviously hawks will have no problem getting in. I free range mine tho and i just got few jersey giant and copper maran roosters(really big boys) and they seem to do awesome job protecting the flock while being gentle giants too when comes to humans. the turkeys can be bullies to chickens sometimes and even get testy with humans but they work even better than the roosters they will chase off anything they dont recognize as being apart of the flock(they chase my cats off all the time and i have even seen them go after the neighbors dog and pig who like to sneak into the pasture and hangout with my cows).

Ever since i have added few turkeys and few roosters to my flock i have yet to have a problem as they get real loud and aggressive and most animals would rather just go find a easier meal else where. Also have couple cows that sleep in the barn where most my flock sleeps too so im sure that helps keep predators away too.

Last edited:
Any of my fellow Oregonians using Nutrena NatureWise Feather Fixer as a daily feed for their flocks? I'm interested in it but not 100% convinced yet. My little flock is just about ready to move over to a layer blend feed and I'm trying to narrow down what feed I want to put them on.

If anyone in the area uses it, please let me know! Thanks in advance for the help. :)

I haven't used Nutrena NatureWise Feather Fixer, but am using Flock Raiser (20% protein and probiotics) if its the higher protein and nutrients you were wanting. I haven't had chickens in 15yrs and my guys are finally (omg I hope) moving out to the coop this weekend, and had been looking around for a good quality feed, there are so many now ugh! I would like to get something more organic, but selection isn't the best at the stores close to me, may have to venture further :D

I'm way out in the country area of Beavercreek, so I have virtually no limitations unless I were to desire some sort of exotic... Which I don't :) in Portland I believe the limit on hens was six and no roosters. Ducks I'm not sure as I didn't get mine until I moved out here. I do know their dog limit is 5, but we had 7 and no one complained :) if you get just a bit outside Portland in Beaverton you can have chickens + 2 goats I believe! If you are wanting pasture type livestock though you have to get out of the suburbs, but still there will be prime areas within 30-40 minutes of downtown Portland

You can have up to three 'farm animals' without a permit, which can be three chickens, three ducks, three goats, one of each, anything you like. Any more than three though and you need a permit. I'm thinking about it, though, because it's only $30 to have more chickens... and we all know how chicken math works. I'm fully expecting to have at least 7 by New Year's.
big_smile.png

Sadly, no roosters even with a permit, which is a bummer!

Back
Top Bottom