Oregon

Hi fellow Oregon folks!
I am in the Sweet Home area.
I am brand spanking new to chickens, had mine for just over a week. It's been a bit overwhelming but it's starting to settle down some.
I'm also into knitting, crocheting, yarn spinning, geeky entertainment like Sci Fi/Fantasy/Anime, and I am mom to four little kiddos. I also have three rabbits.
Hi and Welcome!
welcome-byc.gif

I'm near Forest Grove :) feel free to ask any questions, how old are the chickens you got last week and how many? what fibre do you spin yarn from? that has always interested me but I have never done it. I can crochet, but not knit..
OH and I love sci fi/fantasy too, I just started watching Dr Who season 7 part 2 on amazon prime video. do you watch game of thrones?

Hi!
Six of the chickens are 6 months old. They are out in the coop. I had no idea they were so entertaining. Also, my Copper Maran and RIR hens are super friendly. The Maran hen is about to start laying. She's got a red comb and has been checking out nest locations.
The other twenty something are in the brooder. But I am building a bigger brooder in the coop shed to move them out there as soon as I am pretty sure big chickens are free and clear. It would probably be fine but the two silver laced Wyandottes are very big and active compared to the little chicks. There wasn't that much size difference when I bought them a week ago, but they have shot up in size this week and dwarf the chicks that I got on Tuesday. Today I saw one Wyandotte step on a wee chick as it was eating and the poor little thing got stuck inside the feeder! I was glad I was right there to open up the feeder and let it out. I may give the bigger two their own section of the brooder in the shed when I move them. So some of my chicks are a few weeks old, the Wyandottes, then I have some a week and a half old, and some half a week old.
Here's my picture thread!
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/872569/my-first-week-of-chicken-life-with-photos

I have watched Doctor Who! I have watched most of season 1 of Game of Thrones but wasn't too into it. Just too gory for my liking and I kept hearing how Martin liked killing off characters. Currently I'm watching Parenthood, Modern Family, Fullmetal Alchemist, Death Note, and just finished up Veronica Mars, which was so awesome I"m still reeling from it!

Last edited:
And as for spinning, I have been trying to do all sorts of fibers! I've been spinning for a year and a half and have tried:
Sheep: Merino, Blue Faced Leicester, Corriedale, Faulkland, Jacob, Shetland, Romney, and probably others I don't remember.
Alpaca: both Hiyacuna and Suir
Angora
Mohair
Here's my Rav spinning project page!
And my knit and crochet project page.

Knitting actually led to chickens.
I knit,
then I crocheted,
then I spun,
then I wanted fiber animals,
but sheep are way too big an investment, so I got bunnies
Then my four children ate so much food I wanted a good food source,
and I had a shed I was already keeping bunnies in...
then I asked my relatives if they wanted some eggs too, and oh they did!
Therefore, chickens. Many chickens!

And as for spinning, I have been trying to do all sorts of fibers! I've been spinning for a year and a half and have tried:
Sheep: Merino, Blue Faced Leicester, Corriedale, Faulkland, Jacob, Shetland, Romney, and probably others I don't remember.
Alpaca: both Hiyacuna and Suir
Angora
Mohair
Here's my Rav spinning project page!
And my knit and crochet project page.

Knitting actually led to chickens.
I knit,
then I crocheted,
then I spun,
then I wanted fiber animals,
but sheep are way too big an investment, so I got bunnies
Then my four children ate so much food I wanted a good food source,
and I had a shed I was already keeping bunnies in...
then I asked my relatives if they wanted some eggs too, and oh they did!
Therefore, chickens. Many chickens!

I just made an account to look at your project pages and......
droolin.gif

WOW!!!! you are seriously talented.

Last edited:
Oh, thank you! I started knitting as a stress relief hobby when I was pregnant with my fourth. It was rather addicting. Strange, though, I never knew anybody who knit or crocheted or anything growing up. I never knew anybody with chickens, either. Must be a rural Oregon thing. Pioneering, doing it ourselves, etc.

Oh, thank you! I started knitting as a stress relief hobby when I was pregnant with my fourth. It was rather addicting. Strange, though, I never knew anybody who knit or crocheted or anything growing up. I never knew anybody with chickens, either. Must be a rural Oregon thing. Pioneering, doing it ourselves, etc.
Welcome! Father in Law lives in Sweet Home where DH grew up and we are in Jefferson. Too many chickens to count, babies growing out everywhere and two more hatches a week apart to go for now. I grew up in the big city of Vancouver, BC Canada and moved to Jefferson when I was 19 to take a horse training job. Met DH, loved the Farm life and never left. Also a knitter and a little crochet, self taught. Have knit all kinds of things, now mostly socks. Hated chickens as a teenager, they made tedious work of a horse stall cleaning job! DH talked me into them about 10 years ago and now "they are all mine and I love them!!!".

They will be from my Orpingtons.  A dozen total, 4 Jubilee, 4 Lavender and 4 Blue Laced/Splash.  And I get to walk around and oggle all the cool stuff. :)

I am planning on going to the swap. From the Medford area so it will be quite a drive but am excited. I will definitely putting some tickets into that raffle, would love to get those eggs. Fingers crossed, wish me luck ;)

Hi, neighbor!
I see you have Copper Marans! My Copper Maran hen is my favorite. I have thought about getting a Maran Rooster (I have silkie roosters so far and I'd rather have any babies made have a Maran father than a silky one!).

I am planning on going to the swap. From the Medford area so it will be quite a drive but am excited. I will definitely putting some tickets into that raffle, would love to get those eggs. Fingers crossed, wish me luck
wink.png

I think I might put some in as well! lol. I am bringing home my first duck eggs from the swap, I am pretty excited. I have never hatched duck eggs before so any advice is appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom