Oregon

Quote:
smack.gif

The silkies don't even go out in a light mist. ?

Thank goodness the silkies usually stay in cause really, what's more pathetic than a wet silkie!! They don't do the "drowned rat" look well
ep.gif
I have a few teenagers that insist on following me around the barnyard...silly birds.

Yes silkies look hilarious when they are all wet... Poor Things.. Also i am kinda new to this chicken thing, but KNOW, i KNOW that alot of people in the portland area, or even in washington county that have Roosters. I have seen them in several peoples setups, im just wondering, how do u get away with it? Im looking to buy a full size Roo for a breeding program i wish to create, but am just wondering how i am going to pass it off..

I plan on bringing my Roo in at night (in the garage in a soundproof chamber) and NEVER, NEVER allowing him outside until 12pm. That way there is no morning calls EVER, but will still be able to perform his "duties"!! Please let me know if u keep a Rooster within city limits, and how you get away with it.. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Nate

Quote:
Well, I have 4 chickens, but my neighbor has about 20 + a roo and that guy starts his squawking at 4am sometimes. If I had a gun I'd probably go out there and shoot it. We are about 5 houses down, can't believe the closer neighbors haven't put the kibosh on that already! Glad you are going to be a responsible roo owner. Your neighbors will thank you!

"Responsible" roo owner? They live in the city, so that's what they HAVE to do to have the birds they want.

If someone lives outside city limits, and their neighbors have roos...well, too bad. If someone doesn't want to hear roosters, they should move to the city. JMO

Yeah well i just bought this Rooster, and hes coming with a beautiful splash hen!! I cant wait to breed them!! I gotta keep my neighbors happy to keep him around.. IM so excited to see him!!!
IMG_4191.jpg

Quote:
I have 5 roosters (bantams) and I live within the city limits. We are allowed to have roosters, I just don't push my luck. I don't want to "stand out" in the neighborhood especially since I have a great relationship with all my neighbors. They all know I have them and don't care at all. I only put them in the sound proof room when I heard them crowing at 2am one night. That was even too much for me!

My roosters each have their own large dog crate in the back room of our garage. It is sound proof and warm and totally safe - just like my coop. I cover them with blankets (extra sound proofing and warmth). They also have day cages in the other part of the garage where they stay until noon or so when I put them out. These are larger pens so they can run around and be more free. I am blessed with 5 roosters who only crow in the morning - never once after I put them outside. I think they've paid attention to all the roosters who went bye-bye after crowing in the run lol. (they were rehomed)

Last edited:
@ZooMummzy- Thank you for your advice. I want to keep him in an isolation booth during the night time and early morning, but truly want him to free-range during the day. I really want to have this guy on display, hes so beautiful!! I hope hes a truly "calm" demeanor, who will do his "job" well!! (fertilize and protect that is.) That Rooster is coming with a splash hen (for immediate breeding), plus 3 BLRW (black variety) chicks (straight run) and i will be ordering 15 straight run BLRW from Paul's line on Jan 1st 2011.. I also have (2) 5 month old BLRW pullets to put under his flock!! I am going to start exclusively raising BLRW's of the HIGHEST quality.. I cant wait!!!
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
big_smile.png

Quote:
I totally agree! We live in Lake Oswego and I love the sound of the rooster and various wild peacocks in the hood, just not at 5am on a school/work day. If you're in the country, then well, expect it! LOL.

Back
Top Bottom