Oregon

I "liked" you...will you "like" me back? https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cloverleaf-Farm/144389752319980
big_smile.png

Me too please ! ! !! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iron-Imagery/198600580233227

NOT a chicken/livestock question...but a local tree service question...

Those of you that experienced that last snowstorm followed by the rain know how heavy that load was on the tree branches. We lost a big limb from our giant sweet gum out front. On it's way down (from way up high), it also broke off other limbs.

I had an arborist come out over the weekend to assess the health of the tree and give me an estimate. I liked him and we spent a good time talking about what constitutes good care of trees vs tree abuse. He proposed doing some strategic thinning and then treating for a mild fungus. He stated that the tree was, overall, healthy. I trust his knowledge, his credentials and believe he will do a good job.

What I don't know, is if his estimate falls in the "reasonable" category. Keeping in mind that I want a certified arborist doing the job, have any of you had this kind of work done? Thinning a very tall deciduous tree by an arborist plus treating for a fungus? He says the job will last 6-7 years and is asking $800.

Any experience with this?

I think $800 is a bit steep, but, then again, you will pay a lot for that experienced arborist. They are a very specialized trade. We were quoted for about $500 just to cut down a dead pine, so trimming etc. Would probably be more.

I'm just down the road from you in Hillsboro, and just had a huge oak tree cleaned up for $500. We had them take out a few other huge trees for less than half all the other quotes. He is licensed and bonded and has an amazing arborist on his team. My friend was equally happy with his service. It wouldn't hurt to get a second quote. I'd be happy to give you his info.

When you make a post, click on the left most icon in the right most icon block at the top. It has a pic of a sun and a house on it.

It will bring up a screen that asks you where you want to upload the pic from, and will upload and post it at the same time.

Left Right Left Right Right Left........OK I'm con fused
barnie.gif

John
old.gif
Not Really
smile.png

I'm just down the road from you in Hillsboro, and just had a huge oak tree cleaned up for $500. We had them take out a few other huge trees for less than half all the other quotes. He is licensed and bonded and has an amazing arborist on his team. My friend was equally happy with his service. It wouldn't hurt to get a second quote. I'd be happy to give you his info.

Thank you. If you wouldn't mind sending the info as a PM, I will look into it.

800.00 is pretty steep for 1 tree. Any tree service can do the trimming as they implement the actual work of an arborist. Most trimmings are thinning cuts and dead wood. The fungus issue is normal in our climate and healthy trees can support some fungus and knocking them off the tree is usually adequate but an arborist does not get paid for that service so they do not recommend it. Fungus grows on decaying wood so removing the fugus will not cure the problem you must stop the decayingby removal or with a tree adhesive or they will return. The trim should be about $150.00 plus clean up. I can PM you a guy that does this he is not a certified arborist but has implemented the work they prescribe for many years 25 or 30 I believe. Becoming a certified arborist is not what it seems it is relatively easy like becoming a contractor and it's licensing requirements they give you a book and you study and get a star by your name it really is about experience in hands on work. A silviculturist is another story. Making the right cuts that heal properly are your best insurance to a healthy tree. I have been in the tree business for 25 years and have seen the insides of hundreds of thousands of trees.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5672066_become-certified-arborist.html

NOT a chicken/livestock question...but a local tree service question...

Those of you that experienced that last snowstorm followed by the rain know how heavy that load was on the tree branches. We lost a big limb from our giant sweet gum out front. On it's way down (from way up high), it also broke off other limbs.

I had an arborist come out over the weekend to assess the health of the tree and give me an estimate. I liked him and we spent a good time talking about what constitutes good care of trees vs tree abuse. He proposed doing some strategic thinning and then treating for a mild fungus. He stated that the tree was, overall, healthy. I trust his knowledge, his credentials and believe he will do a good job.

What I don't know, is if his estimate falls in the "reasonable" category. Keeping in mind that I want a certified arborist doing the job, have any of you had this kind of work done? Thinning a very tall deciduous tree by an arborist plus treating for a fungus? He says the job will last 6-7 years and is asking $800.

Any experience with this?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom