Oregon

Ok, fellow Oregonians. Ive got a Situation. The Barnevelder hen I got last week seems to have an illness. She has a foamy eye. From what i collect it could be anything from just a cold to, eye worms, fungal infection to CRD. Well Ive Medicated her with Duramycin and hit her with some vitamins. We will see how she turns out. The thing is, what keeps coming to my mind, If she does indeed have CRD even if i treat it she will become a carrier and once I integrate her with my flock I will infect them. Then that leaves me and my flock closed for life. No chicks or chickens out of here ever. I couldn't sell a hen knowing she has CRD. But on the other hand she might not have it. Though I really enjoy my chickens and do what I can to help them, I feel like its just a chicken when it comes spending lots of money on one. Basically, do I risk it and put her in with the flock or cull?? Being that I'm new to this, I would really like some input. Don't worry about hurting my feelings. Thanks. Derek BTW, you can see a pic of her in the illness/ disease forum. Titled, "Hen a foamy eye"

Is CRD something that she can be tested for?

Ok, fellow Oregonians. Ive got a Situation. The Barnevelder hen I got last week seems to have an illness. She has a foamy eye. From what i collect it could be anything from just a cold to, eye worms, fungal infection to CRD. Well Ive Medicated her with Duramycin and hit her with some vitamins. We will see how she turns out. The thing is, what keeps coming to my mind, If she does indeed have CRD even if i treat it she will become a carrier and once I integrate her with my flock I will infect them. Then that leaves me and my flock closed for life. No chicks or chickens out of here ever. I couldn't sell a hen knowing she has CRD. But on the other hand she might not have it. Though I really enjoy my chickens and do what I can to help them, I feel like its just a chicken when it comes spending lots of money on one. Basically, do I risk it and put her in with the flock or cull?? Being that I'm new to this, I would really like some input. Don't worry about hurting my feelings. Thanks. Derek BTW, you can see a pic of her in the illness/ disease forum. Titled, "Hen a foamy eye"

If you don't want to spend the money to take her to a vet and get a conclusive diagnosis I would not risk your flock, just my opinion...................... While I really like/enjoy my chickens, they are livestock to me and I take a cold hard stance on this one.

If you don't want to spend the money to take her to a vet and get a conclusive diagnosis I would not risk your flock, just my opinion...................... While I really like/enjoy my chickens, they are livestock to me and I take a cold hard stance on this one.

x2!

On a fun note, DD and I watched our first kids born this AM, Pardon all the storage stuff behind her face (and her eyes are not blue/weird camera trick) but two cute kids. Other one is a buckskin buckling. I LOVE spring. Setting eggs next month, ducks on order from Holderreads, and baby goats
wee.gif

Call the veterinary hospital at Oregon State and ask their advice. There might be some free or low cost testing available.
Barnmaradotte, the OSU Poultry Dept. # is (541) 737-2254. I have also gotten lots of helpfull advise over there from James Hermes. Everytime I have e-mailed him he has gotten back to me within 24 hours, his e-mail is [email protected] I believe he is head of the poultry dept.

Back
Top Bottom