Organic Non GMO Wholesome Feed?

Pics

moderndayhippy

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 1, 2010
Does such a thing even exist for chickens? In the past we fed our hens Layena, and it just never felt right to me. We are big into organics, non GMOs, no processed foods, etc., and I would love to do the same for our chickens.

Do any of you purchase such a feed for your chickens, and if so, where do you get it from & how much does it cost?

Thank you so much for any input. Much appreciated.
smile.png

First I want to share this 12 minute video reviewing a 2012 french study done on GMO corn and RoundUp. Although you may have seen the article this video, seems much more comprehensive. The whole video is good, but the significance of the study can queued to 8:30 point:

Supposedly nothing can claim 100% GMO free product if it has ingredients from a genome which has ever been genetically modified. According to the "NON GMO Project," They only certify something as less than 0.9% GMO. This is because, there is GMO cross contamination occurring in organic and non-GMO crops. Most famous example of cross contamination is with Percy Schmeiser and more recently corn in Mexico.

Thus here in the US where 88% of all US corn is GMO, 95% of all US soy is GMO, and 87% of all Canola is GMO; there is a very high likelihood of GMO contamination for crops grown within our borders. As you likely know soy corn and canola are main ingredients in most chicken feed.

So if you were a purist on the GMO issue (like myself), one would eliminate these 3 GMO ingredients from feed completely, even if it is grown organically. This eliminates all likely contamination. This can be difficult because soy has traditionally been a great ingredient for getting the ration up to 16% protein target for laying hens. It has been done. I feed my hens such a product and I am quite happy to do so. We use fishmeal to obtain that extra punch to get our feed up to 16% protein (http://www.phoenixorganicfeed.com/prices.html)

I am not trying to win you over. However, based on the findings in that video above and what I am seeing in the documentary, "Genetic Roulette." I have taken a stance against the entire species of ALL soy and ALL corn ALL canola (even if they're organic). It seems to be the entire genome has been or will be compromised. I am not waiting until I have tumors to find out. I will watch as the rest of our fast food nation continue the study they are unknowingly a part of....

I'll be on the sidelines eating organic and avoiding compromised gene pools.
Scott B
www.phoenixorganicfeed.com

This is all well and good but please pray tell, how do Organic producers propose to limit damage from the European Corn Bore or other insect pests? The simple answer is that they make these pests an offer that they can't refuse by using man made versions of pesticides that were first isolated from plants or other natural sources. Things like Arsenic, Copper, Sulfur, or other natural pesticides like Strychnine, Roanoke, 1080, Neem Oil etc. . They also spray fruits and vegetables with Bacillus thuringiensis microbes. The same microbe that was used to produce many GM crops that make their own insecticides. The big difference is that the USDA allows Organic Producers to spray these insecticide germs on their crops up to 15 minutes before you pop the resulting food into your mouth but the non GM crowd says that the GM crops treated with this same "pesticide" will result in a gruesome death if you eat the non-GM version of the same bacteria. And some of you still must think that it is me who is either dishonest or else misinformed!!! :lau
I'm sorry, but you are VERY misinformed. First, let me say that I am an organic producer. That being said, wow... I dint know where to start. :( The USDA has very strict guidelines on what we can, and cannot put on the soil. Arsenic? Absolutely not. Strychnine? Way not...Round up? It'll take 3-4 years to get recertified if I use THAT.... Absolutely not. Look into BT a LITTLE more lol.. There are thousands of different species of Bacillus, all with different "jobs" (like the microbes in yogurt lol).. Bacillus thurungensis is mainly used to control larvae of borers and grubs and other species are..ih pooey this will take forever, just read links. I randomly snagged this.. http://www.disknet.com/indiana_biolab/ba00.htm The part of the BT that has been spliced for GMO? Why ya think they picked that one? It works ;) Spinosad is another microbe commonly used. http://www.dowagro.com/turf/products/insecticides/conserve_additional.htm Also beneficial nematodes, mites and insects. Herbicide like Avenger and Scythe use naturally derived botanical oils or combinations of smotheting techniques. Here's info for THAT. http://avengerorganics.com OK, on to Neem oil. Organic, safe for beneficials, people EAT it lol... Um Neem oil is from a seed from a tree. Yet another wonderful NATURAL product that only affects the bad insects. They have to ingest the neem oil, and it causes a malfunction of hormones. The power component of Neem oil is Azadirachtin. Info on THAT... http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/extoxnet/24d-captan/azadirachtin-ext.html That's what most of organic control is, hormones and microbes; how do you think organic produce gt away with not using chemicals? Like wormers? Useless once you have a FULL understanding of the way the soil, worms,microbes, AND birds works, a HUGE peice of a very important puzzle is missing. Please do not spread misinformation. I work very hard to ensure that nature nurtures my crops, and really don't appreciate having to constantly clarify outright lies :( If I left anything out, PLEASE feel free to ask so I can clarify anything else :) To answer the OP question, yes, it is entirely possible to source organic, non GMO feed... But its super pricey. Best bet is sourcing the grains and legumes and mixing it yourself; I wouldn't have it any other way :) Edit, autocorrect nightmare.

Last edited:
You seem to be a frustrated English teacher more than an organic farmer.  Are you sure that you're in the right profession?

Non of your links proved anything or provided evidence, scientific or otherwise that RoundUp is in anyway harmful to human or animal life and health.  As for scientific studies there has not been ANY reliable scientific studies, no not one that has found a link between RoundUp or its active ingredient [COLOR=333333]Glyphosate and any harm to the environment.  The only "so called" STUDY that tried to demonstrate a link between Glyphosate and harm to animals was a fraudulent "study" performed by an Anti-GMO activist named [/COLOR]Dr. Seralini.  Dr. Seralini's anti-GMO study was full of intentional lies and flagrant scientific fraud.  

Furthermore if you think that a domestic terrorist outfit like Green Peace is a reliable scientific origination, (as one of YOUR links lead) then there is no reason for me to continue this conversation because you are in denial of basic scientific facts.  But it is a basic scientific fact that over 2,000 honest scientific studies performed by scientist of all political stripes and persuasions has been conducted on GMO crops including RoundUp Ready crops and not a single ONE of these studies even begins to back up your contention. As for one of your links stating that Glyphosate resulted in an increase in microbes living in the soil, that is supposedly a benefit of Organic agricultural and the practice of using human and animal manure or other composted plant and animal materials to help grow food.  So tell us when is too many soil microbes too many soil microbes?  Or in other words isn't Organic agriculture also guilty of increasing the microbe count in dirt?

Ok conversation over. I do not play games and flaming is just not my stly.... Lol YOU are the one who claimed all this Round-up, Glyphosate harm to the environment... I backed that up, and now you are waffling and changing your viewpoint?

Sorry lol, I did not realize this was a flaming attempt... But in the meantime, I am sure happy to have shared this info with people that actually understand it and study it, as I'm sure this info is not generally known to the general public :)

No, I am not an English teacher lol, obviously you are not either... I am an Agronomy and organic chemistry grad; my dad was my Agronomy professor in college lol, so no... I think I made the right choice with my career, being as I am second in command if 2500 acres of farm ground and organic crops and beef.... Don't need an English major to spell a variety of wheat right. ;)

Thanks for the enlightening debate; I'm glad I don't have to worry about you being a part of the crew that comes to inspect paperwork and soil samples next spring lol... It's obvious that you are conflicted in your theories, so come back later when you decide what you're talking about :)

I found a lot of good information at lionsgrip.com
I agree with dropping the soy completely. I believe there is no longer ANY non-GMO soy available due to the "Monsanto" monster. Remember that most of the formulas on that site came from the UK...that means the word "corn" really means grains to us and not corn at all. If you can find the individual ingredients in organic non-gmo form easier than an organic premix feed and just mix your own, this may prove more fruitful and cost effective. I am still very new at this, but will keep you informed of my experiences with the feed aspect. The above statement of what exactly "organic" means these days with federal as well as state standards is my opinion as well. I would pay just as much attention to GMO and give non-GMO every bit as much weight in my decisions.
hmm.png

Remember also that regardless of belief; sea creatures (fish and fish meal) are not regulated at all by the organic label. If you buy it labeled as organic it is a complete lie and usually just means it was farm raised and fed. Since they are feeding a lot of corn now in the hatcheries (a source of omega 6) which has never been found in the sea and that food chain up until now is actually more detrimental..IMO I know it should not be this hard; but we have to think of the entire food chain.

Last edited:
Quote:
You might want to check your facts there. The term "Organic" in the United States is regulated by the USDA.

GMO are prohibited under the National Organic Plan:

Excluded methods. A variety of methods used to genetically modify organisms or influence their growth and development by means that are not possible under natural conditions or processes and are not considered compatible with organic production. Such methods include cell fusion, microencapsulation and macroencapsulation, and recombinant DNA technology (including gene deletion, gene doubling, introducing a foreign gene, and changing the positions of genes when achieved by recombinant DNA technology). Such methods do not include the use of traditional breeding, conjugation, fermentation, hybridization, in vitro fertilization, or tissue culture.

Here is a link to the Federal Regulations for your reference:

http://tinyurl.com/464poho

Really well thanks for the information. It was a certified organic farmer that told me that GMO seed can be grown organically and sold as organic produce. Perhaps he was confused. The whole subject makes me very untrusting of the food and feed industry.

It is pretty simple to know that the three major crops are suffering from GMO cross pollination. Plants reproduce sexually by their pollen blowing in the wind or on the back of birds and bees? You can process and grow a field under organic conditions, but unless you have the crop in a green house, cross pollination is happening. Even the "GMO project" acknowledges they can only guarantee less than 0.9% GMO free products.

It seems there is so much GMO corn soy and canola, that the entire genii will eventually be infiltrated by the GMO gene. It cannot be contained, because the wind will not stop blowing. Here is an article on corn contamination of GMO in a country that has never allowed cultivation of GMO corn within its borders, yet the GMO gene is confirmed and present supposedly 1600 miles from the nearest GMO corn field.

http://www.worldwatch.org/node/525

I know it is sad, but think about it. It is a real threat.

http://www.phoenixorganicfeed.com/why-no-soy.html

Last edited:

My wife laughed when she first saw my milling operation. We buy certified organic whole grains and grind as necessary. I toss them into the hopper to be ground to the size i want (I have a couple of different size screens - peeps get a finer grind then the big girls), ground grains drop into the cement mixer for a few spins before I dump into the 5 gallon bucket. You have to take note that all grains once ground begin to break down - I don't want my girls to eat rancid food.
Polyunsaturated fats easily turn rancid simply by exposure to heat, light, or air, making them very unstable.

Back
Top Bottom