Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

My Tuzo/Jap hen went hard broody 3 weeks ago, so I took her into the garage and let her set. She has hatched 5 chicks. Most are pure cubalaya but I suspect this one might be 1/2 Jap, 1/2 BBR cubalaya. Whatever it is I am unfamiliar with the color. What color do you think it will grow out?

I'm guessing a very red, brown red.

I have had several people ask about my swimming pool brooder. It is a simple idea I had this past fall for my chicks. I just wrapped some wire around a kiddy pool real tight and secured it with wire. I used a hiking stick across the top and secured it also with wire. I hanged my light and water and food down from it. I used a screw hook in the top of the water and food plastic jar to attach the wire.
I placed a large piece of cardboard over the top to keep them in. I am going to make several more of them this spring to keep more chicks in but I am going to use PVC to stand up and brace from the center of the pool with them. I will post pics of them when I make them.

PC, when you said BIG is was think 7-9lb buddy. As he looks pretty big the in the photo. At 6lbs he is a good size yet still in the REZA category. Still a nice looking bird to have in your yard.
He is still a baby, I guess you took my post about his weight that he was going to stop growing as soon as his pic was taken...

PC,

Your correct. I must have misread thinking they cock out at Reza size. He is a nice stag buddy. How old is he now buddy?

He will be 1 this spring, these usually get in the 7 pound range, but some do get a bit heavier. They are right on the border between the 2 sizes of asil. So they would be a BIG reza or a small kulang in description :).

This is one of my little Ko Shamo cross pullets. The oddest thing about her is she has turned into a mother hen. She acts just like a mother hen would with chicks. She is only 3 months old. She was the only egg to hatch out of the last bunch of a few last eggs set in the incubator and has grown up by herself. She was nothing but a big pet. I felt sorry for her because she was by herself when she was a small chick. Last month I had 4 Ko Shamo cross chicks hatch out and I put them in her box to see what she would do. She started taking care of the chicks. Next thing I herd her clucking like a mother hen and calling the chicks to the water and food. She even covers them up at night like a mother hen. She will attack you if you try to pick up one of the chicks. I have never had this happen before. Looks like she will be a real good mother when she gets older and raises her own chicks.
that's a pleasant surprise no doubt

Back
Top Bottom