Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

Something I read about Ga Noi the other day. It was translated from Vietnamese but I think I made sense of it.
It was saying that a lot of what is being called Ga Noi are not real Ga Noi. Naked Necks cannot be called true Ga Noi and any chicken w color cannot be called true Ga Noi either. The reason for this is that Ga Noi translated to English means dark or black chicken. So only chickens w feathered heads and black or mostly black bodies can be called true Ga Noi. Therefore naked necks and colored Vietnamese gamefowl should be called Viet Gamefowl not Ga Noi.
Just posting for conversation, not trying to start arguments or call anyone out on their fowl.

Naked Necks cannot be called true Ga Noi and any chicken w color cannot be called true Ga Noi either.

The reason for this is that Ga Noi translated to English means dark or black chicken.

I agreed with the first statement. Not all GaNoi are naked neck. The Ganoi raised in Southern Vietnam has heavy plumage, typically called "Ga Noi Cua", known for speed and cutting ability. The GaNoi raised in Central and North are "Ga Noi Don" (powerful type used in tape boxing, thinner feather and kind of naked when young; if leaving them alone, their neck feather will grow out when they mature but the folks there like to trim the head/neck naked so they can condition the skin.

I disagreed with the second statement. I'm not sure where you obtain this translation from but it has no validity. "Ga` No`i" is a Vietnamese term for their fighting chicken. Its meaning is "Thoroughbred Chicken" when translated to English. It has no association with the color at all.

Just some clarification to set thing right. Good day.

I agreed with the first statement. Not all GaNoi are naked neck. The Ganoi raised in Southern Vietnam has heavy plumage, typically called "Ga Noi Cua", known for speed and cutting ability. The GaNoi raised in Central and North are "Ga Noi Don" (powerful type used in tape boxing, thinner feather and kind of naked when young; if leaving them alone, their neck feather will grow out when they mature but the folks there like to trim the head/neck naked so they can condition the skin.

I disagreed with the second statement. I'm not sure where you obtain this translation from but it has no validity. "Ga` No`i" is a Vietnamese term for their fighting chicken. Its meaning is "Thoroughbred Chicken" when translated to English. It has no association with the color at all.

Just some clarification to set thing right. Good day.

I've never heard that Ga Noi means thoroughbred everything I read about them says it translates to black chicken, even right here on BYC. I know Asil means thoroughbred but I've never heard that for Ga Noi

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom