Oriental Gamefowl Thread!

I'm getting ready to get my first Malay, and I'm stressed to death! What kind of food and protein do you feed chicks, juveniles, and adults? Free choice? What is the lengthxwidthxheight of your coop (where they sleep at night) what about their run (outside enclosed area) if in a cold climate, do you let the roost at night, or make them bed down in straw? And probably a million other things I forgot! Thanks.

Just got my first Aseel today...what's up with his wing? It's just an empty spot...no broke feathers...

It is probably genetic some Asian breeds are suppose to have that gap like Shamos and others I don't know... I know traditionally western breeders consider it a fault, but that was do to lack of knowledge on the breeds when introduced to the west. I do not know if that is normal for Asils though...

It is called Split Wing and I think it is simple recessive.

I'm getting ready to get my first Malay, and I'm stressed to death! What kind of food and protein do you feed chicks, juveniles, and adults? Free choice? What is the lengthxwidthxheight of your coop (where they sleep at night) what about their run (outside enclosed area) if in a cold climate, do you let the roost at night, or make them bed down in straw? And probably a million other things I forgot! Thanks.

Hopefully some of the real experienced folks will answer. Malays are to my knowledge good sized birds so bigger is better for their coop. I think there are some considerations on feed as you want bone frame and muscle to grow in balance... hopefully someone who raises them will address that better. How many are you getting? You need to be aware game chicks can start dusting it up pretty young, though slower maturing breeds take longer, and then boom bloody birds. In cold climates I know Shamos need extra heat source usually... Malays may need same considerations. Roosts for large heavy breeds are usually low to the ground and broad. I pretty much lurk and drool over everyone's beautiful birds... so not expert on these breeds.

I am also getting Thai and more Asil....so I'm assuming advice for one goes for all? I was going to make the coop for each trio 4 wide 8 long 4 high...to try and keep heat in....Michigan is always cold.

The perch needs to be a 2x4, laid flat (They will be sitting on the 4 inch side) no more than 24 inches off the ground. As they do not have much feathers, laying the 2x4 flat helps to keep their toes from freezing off in the winter, because they will be laying on their toes at night instead of the toes wrapping around the perch.

One reason for the low perch is their weight. They can damage their legs by jumping down from a high perch.

The 2x4 needs to be in place for the young birds as well because smaller perches can dent the chest bone.

Here in TN, we have much milder weather than you do. Mine do well as long as they do not get wet. Even in plain wire pens with a metal top.

Big thanks to Temujin! Great seller! Paid for my eggs and the same day got a photo of them in the box with my name on it and a tracking number. Box was very well marked with fragile and hatching eggs! I will write another review once I get them. Just wanted to say how happy I am so far.

Back
Top Bottom