Origins of fermented feed

Can it be stored in the fridge until needed? Someone (😳) started a batch thinking their chicks would arrive today. They didn’t. Thanks!
that's not normally necessary. What are you fermenting (concentrate or whole grains or other)? and do you know if the fermenting process has started on your batch?

that's not normally necessary. What are you fermenting (concentrate or whole grains or other)? and do you know if the fermenting process has started on your batch?
Hi, I’m fermenting Nutrena NatureWise chick starter, which consists of mini bits. I haven’t seen any bubbling like I would with my sour dough starter.

I've never tried keeping it in the fridge, so I really don't know. Did it bubble before you put it in? If the liquor looks a little thick or soupy (that'd be some of the starch and other things coming out of the grain) you could dilute it with plain water.

If you've got litmus paper (I know, it's not in most people's cupboards, but it is actually handy to have a roll in stock if you make pickles and ferments) you might want to test the acidity before giving it to them, just to be on the safe side with something that's been developing for a while longer than it normally would (albeit slowly in the fridge).

I've never tried keeping it in the fridge, so I really don't know. Did it bubble before you put it in? If the liquor looks a little thick or soupy (that'd be some of the starch and other things coming out of the grain) you could dilute it with plain water.

If you've got litmus paper (I know, it's not in most people's cupboards, but it is actually handy to have a roll in stock if you make pickles and ferments) you might want to test the acidity before giving it to them, just to be on the safe side with something that's been developing for a while longer than it normally would (albeit slowly in the fridge).
Litmus paper is a good thought. I might just chuck the whole batch, and start over a day or two before they arrive.

Litmus paper is a good thought. I might just chuck the whole batch, and start over a day or two before they arrive.
it's like riding a bike - easy when you know how but a bit nerve-wracking when you start out :p All experience is good. You could try with little batches until you feel comfortable with the look and smell of it.

Back
Top Bottom