orloffer's Coturnix Quail Project

Pics

orloffer

Crowing
Jun 10, 2020
SF Bay Area, CA
At an unexpected turn of events, I am going to be attempting another coturnix quail hatch! I currently have 6 quail and was not planning on acquiring more, but I just won 30 quail eggs from @Nabiki and so have decided to try raising quail for both eggs and meat -- the latter of which I have never done before. Depending on how many chicks hatch, I plan to keep all or most of the females, and a couple of the males. The rest of the males will be butchered for human (and poodle puppy) consumption. Which males I keep to use as breeders will primarily depend on their coloration, meaning I will need to gain an understanding of quail color genetics.

I will update this thread when the eggs arrive.

Meanwhile, if anyone could give me a basic explanation of genetics for the most common coturnix colors, or provide a link to a website that does this in a way that is relatively easy to understand, I would appreciate it!

I have a few questions about coturnix quail colors and how they would be inherited. The current male I have appears to possibly be calico x golden manchurian. I have never seen another quail quite like him in color, and might be interested in trying to create more like him. What exactly are calico and golden manchurian? Also, would it be possible to create a calico tuxedo bird?
1623963439690.png

I have a few questions about coturnix quail colors and how they would be inherited. The current male I have appears to possibly be calico x golden manchurian. I have never seen another quail quite like him in color, and might be interested in trying to create more like him. What exactly are calico and golden manchurian? Also, would it be possible to create a calico tuxedo bird?
View attachment 2722955
Never mind this post---I have figured it out on another thread.

I took out my incubator (Janoel 12) today to start getting it set up, and it turns out it can only fit 25 out of the 30 eggs I should be receiving sometime during the next few days. Is there a way to "stuff" more eggs into the incubator, or will I have to leave 5 of them out?

I took out my incubator (Janoel 12) today to start getting it set up, and it turns out it can only fit 25 out of the 30 eggs I should be receiving sometime during the next few days. Is there a way to "stuff" more eggs into the incubator, or will I have to leave 5 of them out?
If they're shipped eggs the choice my be made for you! I don't usually set eggs with what look like tiny holes or scratches visible during candling with shipped eggs. I honestly don't know if it's just shell imperfections or damage, but they tend to go bad more often than solid looking eggs.

If they're shipped eggs the choice my be made for you! I don't usually set eggs with what look like tiny holes or scratches visible during candling with shipped eggs. I honestly don't know if it's just shell imperfections or damage, but they tend to go bad more often than solid looking eggs.
I have never candled quail eggs before. Are there any signs that a quail egg is fertile vs. infertile based on candling them on day 0, or do you just candle them to look for shell imperfections/damage? Also, could you elaborate on what it means for an egg to "go bad?"

I have never candled quail eggs before. Are there any signs that a quail egg is fertile vs. infertile based on candling them on day 0, or do you just candle them to look for shell imperfections/damage? Also, could you elaborate on what it means for an egg to "go bad?"
No visible fertility signs at day zero without cracking one open (that's actually what I do with the ones that don't pass my inspection). They'll have the same bull's eye like a fertile chicken egg. "Go bad" as in contamination, they stink and leak of you don't catch them in time. I candle day 4 to check for veining, you can't always see through well but developing eggs often have a spot that had a pink cast. I sniff the air vent daily as well, just to be safe. I have had 3 contaminated eggs this year even with being selective, been incubating a lot of shipped eggs for new bloodlines and colors.

Back
Top Bottom