Orpington vs Australorp

bluefrog87

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 17, 2013
Dallas, Tx
I am new to chickens and I am trying to do my homework on which chicken breed would be right for me.

My flock would only be 3-4 birds and not much room for growth. I would prefer to keep only 1 breed. These birds would be in a backyard coop with run. I need a breed that doesn't make much noise (about the same level of a barking dog).

I need a docile breed. My biggest purpose for the birds is eggs. I want roughly a half a dozen to a dozen large eggs a week. I live in a climate where cold and hot weather is a factor. I also want a common chicken.

I have met someone with a Buff Orpington and I do like the birds personality but also curious if the Australorp would be a better bird for climate

Here's the thing: A 6 bird coop by whose definition? I see "6 bird coops" for sale that I'd not even keep 2 birds in. But the sellers claim you can keep 6 in it!

I think you should get Americanas there very sweet an produce XL to XXL eggs each hen will give you around 1 egg every day when its cold put a heating lamp by the nesting boxes if you want them to lay in cold weather . by the way
welcome-byc.gif

Well I'm not interested in the chickens leaving the run because they become dog food. I'm looking for chickens that lay large/XL brown eggs, bears confinement (in coop w/ run appropriate size for chicken), and bears cold temp (below freezing) as well as heat temp (100+), and if I need to do something with them it's like dealing a really laid back chill chicken. To be honest, I'm in it for the eggs and tasty food.

I've seen buff orpingtons and like the personality/size and laying rate. The chill, doesn't run from me if I need to handle it, and doesn't fly or need a lot of maintenance to maintain that.

I have not seen Australorp and do not know if they are similar.

I have heard the Australorp is more heat tolerant but I am unsure about the orpington being the same personality. However I know both are very common in my area and I'm trying to figure the better choice. of the two.

Most of this is due to a lack of knowledge of both breeds.

Last edited:
You are likely to do best with Orpingtons. However it can be a tossup. Both breeds are very similar but the rub is that when you buy hatchery birds, you sometimes get those that aren't of the same personality as breeder birds because they are not bred with personality and standards in mind. My hatchery Orpingtons are very sweet, laid back girls. But I've heard of others say theirs were flighty. Same with Australorps, which was derived from Orpingtons.

One thing that worries me is what you say about 100+ temps and being confined. Please give whatever breed you end up with as much space as you possibly can, and make sure they have access to plenty of water and shade. So long as there is not a draft on them when they roost in winter, they should be fine. But that heat will kill them if they don't have adequate shade and water. And ventilation.

Last edited:
I am going to say that chickens are like humans in that they are all different personalities even though they are the same breed. I have Buff Orpingtons for the same reason that you consider them. Descriptions have them a sweet and docile. They are but I hatched out some Cochins and cared for them the exact same way and they are friendlier by far. They hop up in my lap and love to lay and be petted. The BO are still friendly in that they will eat out of my hand but they won't let me get them picked up. Although, with all the extra feathers on a Cochin, I don't think they would handle excessive heat without extra ventilation.

Cochins are known for their calm sweet personalities even more than Orps and many other breeds. My only trouble with them is the feather feet and they are fluffier than most, so like you, I'd think they wouldn't do well where he is.

Back
Top Bottom