Orpington vs Australorp

Here's the thing: A 6 bird coop by whose definition? I see "6 bird coops" for sale that I'd not even keep 2 birds in. But the sellers claim you can keep 6 in it!

Hi Blue Frog! How'd you make out? What breed(s) did you end up with?
I wish I had logged in a few months ago. I have 5 Orpington Buff hens and one Austrolorp hen. There are subtle differences between the breeds, one being that the buffs take a few extra months to start laying eggs. "Bestie", my Austrolorp, started well before "Fluffy". Bestie and Fluffy were raised in my living room as chicks until my living room started to smell like a farm
big_smile.png
. They were handled equally by my 9 year old. I noticed from the beginning that the austrolorp was much less social...even now, 10 months later. Fluffy jumps in my lap for snacks and Bestie is very cautious. Also, both breeds are quite vocal when laying their eggs...in which, the orpingtons are larger.
I wish you luck with your new "family" as every day will be an experience...

Hi Blue Frog! How'd you make out? What breed(s) did you end up with?
I wish I had logged in a few months ago. I have 5 Orpington Buff hens and one Austrolorp hen. There are subtle differences between the breeds, one being that the buffs take a few extra months to start laying eggs. "Bestie", my Austrolorp, started well before "Fluffy". Bestie and Fluffy were raised in my living room as chicks until my living room started to smell like a farm
big_smile.png
. They were handled equally by my 9 year old. I noticed from the beginning that the austrolorp was much less social...even now, 10 months later. Fluffy jumps in my lap for snacks and Bestie is very cautious. Also, both breeds are quite vocal when laying their eggs...in which, the orpingtons are larger.
I wish you luck with your new "family" as every day will be an experience...

I decided to get Orpingtons for 3 reasons. My husband likes them (his mom has a couple), the personality is very important, and they are incredible cheap and available. It was a very tough call tho.

The coop is from a local farmer. He has a winter sale going and it. They will have 5 1/3 sq feet per bird in coop and well over 100 sq feet to roam. I am starting with 3 and plan to have a max of 4.

Well I'm not interested in the chickens leaving the run because they become dog food. I'm looking for chickens that lay large/XL brown eggs, bears confinement (in coop w/ run appropriate size for chicken), and bears cold temp (below freezing) as well as heat temp (100+), and if I need to do something with them it's like dealing a really laid back chill chicken. To be honest, I'm in it for the eggs and tasty food.

I've seen buff orpingtons and like the personality/size and laying rate. The chill, doesn't run from me if I need to handle it, and doesn't fly or need a lot of maintenance to maintain that.

I have not seen Australorp and do not know if they are similar.

I have heard the Australorp is more heat tolerant but I am unsure about the orpington being the same personality. However I know both are very common in my area and I'm trying to figure the better choice. of the two.

Most of this is due to a lack of knowledge of both breeds.
The Australorp is a very good layer, very friendly and can handle the hot. I have both and the Orps are not as fond of the heat. I live in the Pac. NW and heat is not a big problem. Wet is.

Back
Top Bottom