Orpingtons: Pullets or Cockerels?

Cels

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 30, 2014
Hello All!

I have two suspected Cockerels, and I'd really love all of your opinions. These chicks are a little over 5 weeks old (these pictures are from about 3 days ago), and I have two that I am definitely leaning towards rooster, but I have heard that Orpingtons are notoriously difficult when it comes to sexing.

I am almost certain the Lemon is a male: he has a larger red comb, a short tail, and is feathering out MUCH slower than the others. The only thing is he still doesn't have any sign of waddles coming in yet (picture below).

IMG_2866.JPG

The Lavender under scrutiny also has a larger red comb, and tiny flesh-colored waddles, but is feathered out just like my other three and has a long tail (picture below). I'm also assuming male, but I didn't know if flesh-colored waddles at this age guaranteed rooster.

IMG_2858.JPG

Any insight? If they have mostly pink/red combs at this age (a little yellow still on the top tip), is it a 100% that they are roo's?

Here is a comparison of the large combed lavender (picture 1 below) and the large combed lemon (picture 2 below) next to a couple of my others (same age, much smaller combs):

IMG_2857.JPG
IMG_2851.JPG

Thank you in advance!

Last edited:
Yep- they are definitely cockerels.

So it is 100% that they are cockerels if they show that much comb at this age, despite not having any waddles?

I just want to make sure there isn't a chance they aren't just comby hens (not holding my breath for the Lemon)! I can only hold back three anyway, but I also wanted reference for the future. I didn't know if large pinkish combs, but long tail, well feathered, and barely any waddle at this age still guaranteed cockerel.

So it is 100% that they are cockerels if they show that much comb at this age, despite not having any waddles?

I just want to make sure there isn't a chance they aren't just comby hens (not holding my breath for the Lemon)! I can only hold back three anyway, but I also wanted reference for the future. I didn't know if large pinkish combs, but long tail, well feathered, and barely any waddle at this age still guaranteed cockerel.

Yes.

The wattles are coming soon. At that age- that comb is a huge indicator. It'll get more red and the wattles will show up. They don't get the male feathering until around 12-13 weeks. Some people have seen trends on cockerels being slower to feather, but it's not always the case.

Thank you! I figured as much, but just wanted to get confirmation that large comb at 5 weeks = 100% cockerel! There is one other I'm suspect of (no large comb or waddles yet), but body wise looks similar to that Lavender boy posted above.

I will have to post pictures this evening of the three possible pullets, and get opinions! Thanks again!

Here are pictures of the three I believe could be pullets (a few repeats of the same three chickens). The cockerel is the secondary bird in picture 5 and 7, and barely on the right side of picture 4 and 6, so please ignore him. Picture 7 has all three of the possible pullets in it. What do you all think??

1) Two of the possible pullets:
IMG_2902.JPG

2) One:
IMG_2906.JPG

3) Two:
IMG_2907.JPG

4) One and Two (cockerel on far right):
IMG_2912.JPG

5) Cockerel on left and Three:
IMG_2913.JPG

6) One:
IMG_2919.JPG

7) Cockerel in back and One in front:
IMG_2928.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2925.JPG
    IMG_2925.JPG
    567.7 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
So far, only that one Lavender is looking like a cockerel. Most Orpingtons are quite as quick to develop. Often times, cockerels aren't obvious till well over 10 weeks of age.

Back
Top Bottom