Orpingtons: Pullets or Cockerels?

So far, only that one Lavender is looking like a cockerel. Most Orpingtons are quite as quick to develop. Often times, cockerels aren't obvious till well over 10 weeks of age.

Sorry, I think I'm misunderstanding what you are saying. They are quick to develop, but cockerels usually aren't obvious until well over 10 weeks of age? Does that mean you are saying there is still a good chance the other three could be cockerels as well, or that they are usually quick to develop and therefore if they don't look like cockerels now they most likely are pullets? Thanks for the reply!

Sorry, I think I'm misunderstanding what you are saying. They are quick to develop, but cockerels usually aren't obvious until well over 10 weeks of age? Does that mean you are saying there is still a good chance the other three could be cockerels as well, or that they are usually quick to develop and therefore if they don't look like cockerels now they most likely are pullets? Thanks for the reply!
Your two obvious cockerels are an anomaly. Orpingtons are generally a slow to develop breed. You could have other cockerels, or you might not. Time will tell.

Your two obvious cockerels are an anomaly. Orpingtons are generally a slow to develop breed. You could have other cockerels, or you might not. Time will tell.

Okay, that makes complete sense now! Thank you, thank you. I will probably update this thread in a few weeks and show how they're developing. I think there is one more out of the three that has a good chance of being a cockerel based off his legs and occassional stance, but I guess we'll see!

I agree the chicks with the larger combs are males. Did you hatch them out or are they hatchery?

I agree the chicks with the larger combs are males. Did you hatch them out or are they hatchery?

I got them from a local rancher that bred/hatched them for me. I don't know what lines, or from where their original flock came.

UPDATE: Here are they chicks at 6 weeks old! I have found homes for the two known cockerels, but will post a picture of them at the bottom of the post for reference!

Here are the three possible pullets:
IMG_2967.JPG

Making a funny noise to get their attention:
IMG_2973.JPG

Another angle:
IMG_2976.JPG

Chick 1:
IMG_2978.JPG

Chick 2:
IMG_2980.JPG

Chick 3:
IMG_2982.JPG

Chick 3 again (making a funny noise to get attention):
IMG_2984.JPG

And here are the two cockerels that already found new homes - the lavender was about the same size as the three that I currently have, and the lemon cuckoo was a little smaller:
IMG_2962.JPG

Back
Top Bottom