Other than CX, which chickens have white meat?

chicken-tender

Songster
Premium Feather Member
7 Years
May 6, 2016
Plainwell,. Michigan
My wife has rebelled at raising our own chickens for the table. The reason is my DP breeds are all have dark meat according to her. As background, let me say we are both of an age that we remember when CXs were not very popular with the local farmers yet. Her mother used to raise chickens and sell eggs. She also raised the chickens to eat. They were white. As to the breed, she has no idea. I suspect they were Leghorns. But I also remember leghorns as not being too meaty either. I don't want to raise Leghorns.
I free range our chickens as much as is possible on 2 3/4 acres, I recently started over with Bielefelder chickens but have not butchered any as yet. We have 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Partridge Chantecler and 1 Dominique hen left. My intention is to breed them to the Bielefelder rooster along with the 5 Bielefelder hens, and use the chicks as meat birds. My whole purpose is to have a self sustaining flock so I don't have to buy chick every year. Size and growth rate not so much a concern as white meat is.
She is basing her stand on the 2 Chantecler cockerels and the 1 Barred Rock cockerel that I butchered. I know free ranging them makes them leaner and the young age (18 weeks) did not help,. In fact so far she refuses to even cook them, which I intend to do this week with the pressure cooker.

My whole question is " Is there a bird other than Cxs that has white meat?

You might try a Croad Langshan, or White Langshan chicken - best known for their abundance of white meat and white skin. Or try White Orpingtons, also very meaty and nice white meat. I haven't tried either, but have read they are good choices. Also mentioned were Bresse chickens for the "best tasting" meat in the world. I've got five youngsters in my flock now, so I'll be testing them out come springtime. ;)

In response to others above... some breeds have breast meat that isn't as "white" as that of cornish cross when processed. The color and flavor of meat is different across different breeds, although the darkest meat will be legs and thighs, and lightest in color is the breast meat.

You might try a Croad Langshan, or White Langshan chicken - best known for their abundance of white meat and white skin. Or try White Orpingtons, also very meaty and nice white meat. I haven't tried either, but have read they are good choices. Also mentioned were Bresse chickens for the "best tasting" meat in the world. I've got five youngsters in my flock now, so I'll be testing them out come springtime. ;)

In response to others above... some breeds have breast meat that isn't as "white" as that of cornish cross when processed. The color and flavor of meat is different across different breeds, although the darkest meat will be legs and thighs, and lightest in color is the breast meat.
Thanks, I had no idea. I’ve also heard Bresse are supposed to be fantastic. I’m jealous!

Thanks, I had no idea. I’ve also heard Bresse are supposed to be fantastic. I’m jealous!
I stumbled across them on craigslist. I don't often browse CL, but on that day, I needed to kill some time, so..... and there they were. Just 15 miles from my house, all five for $80. You can bet I laid rubber getting down there to pick them up. A nice gentleman had five 14-week-olds, which he got to start his own breeding program. But the life got in the way and he had to sell them. Two cockerels and three pullets. I've named them George, Sam, Abigail, Betsy, and Martha - my "Liberty" tribe, after their red-white-and-blue coloring.
1694374938550.png

You are right, the breast is "white meat" but it is way darker on Dual Purpose at least the ones I've raised. I have thought about the Bresse. I started with the Bielefelder but then found out the breast is like the rest of the DP breeds.
Its not the taste or texture. I cannot get her to try so its the look. Unfortunately, unlike the kids, I cannot make her at least try it once. Well, I guess I could try but I like being married too much to do it.
Thanks Barnyard Chaos, I will check into the Langshan.

She is basing her stand on the 2 Chantecler cockerels and the 1 Barred Rock cockerel that I butchered. I know free ranging them makes them leaner and the young age (18 weeks) did not help,. In fact so far she refuses to even cook them, which I intend to do this week with the pressure cooker.
I wonder..... if her refusal to sample the meat is due not only to the color, but also to something else she's reluctant to admit...... like, does she have any problem with the fact that they were raised, slaughtered and butchered at home, and not from the grocery store? I mean, I know folks who will not eat hamburger if they have to touch and cook it, but if it's from McD's or BK, it's fine. The first time I cooked chicken that I'd raised, killed and processed, I experienced a bit of "ick" factor, too. Took me a few times to get over it.

BTW, for most heritage and dual-purpose breeds, butchering at 18-weeks is the OLDEST you want to process. Ideally, it's at about 16 weeks. After that, the meat becomes tougher and you'd have to pressure cook or slow-cook it for tenderness. I do brine my birds for a few days before freezing to help retain the moisture and tenderness. (They are barnyard mixes.) Still, they are a little more rubbery than CornishX from the store and the flavor is more intense. That's taking some getting used to. I can't wait to see how the Bresse turn out, if I semi-follow the French protocol for finishing them.

Back
Top Bottom