Other than CX, which chickens have white meat?

T
If you ever have to hide dark-colored chicken meat, try putting it in a soup with black beans. The beans color everything, so even normal chicken meat turns gray in a dish like that.
That is a great idea! I make soup myself in the winter. I will try that with chickens I have in the freezer now, maybe add a store bought breast just to hide the other one more. THANKS NatJ

Meat of a Silkie can range from dark gray, to light grey, or marbled with different shades of gray, or may have some white in the meat.

I eat quite a few.
At what age do you butcher your Silkies? I have an abundance of them and have been considering harvesting them but don't know when would be the best time since they're so small to begin with.

My wife has rebelled at raising our own chickens for the table. The reason is my DP breeds are all have dark meat according to her. As background, let me say we are both of an age that we remember when CXs were not very popular with the local farmers yet. Her mother used to raise chickens and sell eggs. She also raised the chickens to eat. They were white. As to the breed, she has no idea. I suspect they were Leghorns. But I also remember leghorns as not being too meaty either. I don't want to raise Leghorns.
I free range our chickens as much as is possible on 2 3/4 acres, I recently started over with Bielefelder chickens but have not butchered any as yet. We have 2 Barred Rocks, 2 Partridge Chantecler and 1 Dominique hen left. My intention is to breed them to the Bielefelder rooster along with the 5 Bielefelder hens, and use the chicks as meat birds. My whole purpose is to have a self sustaining flock so I don't have to buy chick every year. Size and growth rate not so much a concern as white meat is.
She is basing her stand on the 2 Chantecler cockerels and the 1 Barred Rock cockerel that I butchered. I know free ranging them makes them leaner and the young age (18 weeks) did not help,. In fact so far she refuses to even cook them, which I intend to do this week with the pressure cooker.

My whole question is " Is there a bird other than Cxs that has white meat?
Malines would be an excellent choice for your purposes and make the wife happy too. If I remember correctly, Bielefelder have Maline in their creation as well.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom